Forum Issues

I think we may have found the issue - Tony's computer.

No issue with the speed you're getting there - shouldn't affect web page load times - do you know what you're paying for?

Try this one: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk

That should load in under 2 seconds. Thats about as far from WIM forums as you can get - different software, different hosts, different physical hardware, different connections to the internet, the lot.

It might be worth a few other checks later to work out if its your computer or internet connection causing your issues.

James

Edit - This took about 10 seconds to post, but the edit was almost instant - sub 1 second. Rich - assuming you've run them already, but are there any optimisation tools built in to the IPBoard admin panel?

As a fellow forum admin, I can suggest that if the forum runs at an acceptable speed for reading, but is slow to reload the new page after posting, you have database efficiency issues you probably need to address.

Not sure what back end databse you run here, but you might want to look into table size, indexes, and any optimisation routines recommended by both the forum software vendor and the database vendor.

If its a dedicated server, you might want to check disk layout is optimised for usage (DB data and transaction logs on RAID1/10, and forum code/images/javascript/css etc etc on RAID5). If you're on a shared server, you won't have this luxury.

Tried again download is 9.50mbps upload 0.94 is that good or bad?

About normal for an ADSL2 line if you are about 1m from your local exchange.  That speedtest.net site is a pretty poor way of testing end to end speed though, due to its popularity, and also because of all the bloaty ads it loads whilst doing the test.

But certainly at that speed, you should not be experience general web browsing issues, which includes forum browsing/posting.

Looking at the forum stats, I don't think you're busy enough to warrant worrying too much about disk layout, but definately look at any DB optimsation routines, reindexing etc.

Posting for me is a bit erratic - sometimes near instant, but sometimes a bit of lag

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

It's trying to send you to another url ( address ) and it's not getting there and ends up in a loop.

It was only happening on Chrome, I've cleared my browser data ( in settings ) and it works now :)

This ties in with the other thread Tony - something is linking externally I'd say, (hence the unsafe errors in the background).

Actually, just had a thought - have you changed your htaccess file lately Or any DNS changes?

Smartly, do you go to wheels-inmnotion.co.uk then select the forum or directly to the forum? http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=Login&CODE=00

Will you try directly to the forum and see if it lets you on without the redirects?

It was working on Firefox and Edge (for Mac) and Chrome if I don't use www. Chrome seems to redirect to https. I noticed a certificate is out of date when looking at the cpanel earlier but it's not something I want to mess with as they pay IT guys to look after it. The certificate expired on 3rd January which is when these issues started I think.

There was nothing in the htaccess file apart from one line saying it gets the settings from PHP. I can't remember the exact wording, I'll have another look tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for looking at this issue and i can assure everyone soon we will have total control over wim web/ forum. At the moment i want to tell IT what they are doing wrong or what they arn't doing? so some questions...

1: What is the certificate for.

2: Has this anything to do with Zen

3: Has the web been hacked again and if so how are they getting in since the web site is static.

I noticed a certificate is out of date when looking at the cpanel earlier but it's not something I want to mess with as they pay IT guys to look after it. The certificate expired on 3rd January which is when these issues started I think.

That's odd because externally published info is March, unless there's another part? This was the first thing I checked the other night.It does tie in timing wise though.

Common name: wheels-inmotion.co.uk

SANs: wheels-inmotion.co.uk, www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk

Valid from December 18, 2017 to March 19, 2018

Serial Number: c8e3bec6a31a63f3dcf4be5a4c6979ae

Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption

Issuer: cPanel, Inc. Certification Authority Common name: wheels-inmotion.co.uk

SANs: wheels-inmotion.co.uk, www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk

Valid from December 18, 2017 to March 19, 2018

Serial Number: c8e3bec6a31a63f3dcf4be5a4c6979ae

Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption

Issuer: cPanel, Inc. Certification Authority

• Like 1