Hornet Sprinting Debden

hms

So I have the extra power and 888′s on, so how was it? Did I manage to reduce the gap? Was I still last in the class?

Well the day started with an accident, I ran over my foot as I was pushing the Hornet to be scrutineered. Lightweight Car, my foot! Especially when it’s on it. More embarrassment than pain!

Anyway, Debden is an airfield course which is of variable condition with lots of loose stones and gravel.

The start heads off into a left hander, which continues around to a roundabout at the end of the bend. The placement of the roundabout entry was difficult as it was off the to the left so ther was a sharp turn in hading into a narrow gate. Around the pear shaped roundabout and back out the way you came in, this time making it a sweeping right hander. Then a fast left hander, and straighten the bend up to the new chicane. This has been added to slow you down at the top end of the course because of a tree on the end of the track. Round the top end of the track and a right hander into the curves of the cart track, defined by blue and white kerbs. 4 tight curves ready to catch you out, and then a sprint to the finish gate.

The hardest parts for me were the approach to the roundabout, you cannot see it coming, even with an 80 meter board, I always found myself in the wrong positon for the entry to the roundabout. Second one was the left hander after the roundabout, again difficult to see because of the bend, finding the braking point, and realising that I could go through the corner faster than I did.

The first practice run missed gears on the sweeping left approaching roundabout, same thing again on the second run, checking I had all gears in the gearbox!

First timed run was clean, second timed run , on the run from the last gate to the finish line I was hitting the rev liumiter and decided to upshift but fluffed it, cost a little time but not much, as this was my fastest run. Third timed run was clean, but slower.

Times.

Practise. 1 85.98

Practise 2. 85.94

Timed 1. 82.82

Timed 2. 80.88

Timed 3. 81.91

The fastest run in class was Paul at 71.95, so I think I’m a little faster than previously due the the cam belt work that was done.

Net meet will be a return to Hethel. Can’t wait!

I'll post video in due course.

h

Suppose the only places where you can do things like this that are sensibly priced, have wide tracks with plenty of run offs i.e. not a circuit, are old out of service airfields. The MOD are hardly likely to retarmac them just for our use.

h

• 2 weeks later...

I think the bits I can improve on, apart from not fluffing the gear change! are:

The approach to the roundabout, the gate is very difficult to approach, I think I could be further out to the right when approaching may make a difference.

The fast left hander after the roundabout. I have difficulty in seeing the turn in point, (middle of the second gravel section on the left) as I'm trying to locate the turning and the little blue arrow hidden in all the grass. I come off the power rather than stay on it whilst I locate where I should be going!

Hopefully with Hethel being the next outing, and having been there once before, the experience willl help reduce the times.

h