change tyre size

phill_g

Hi Phill

The 225/45/17 would be fine, just check you have the arch clearance for the extra width. The speedo will more or less read the same as well.

There are many tyre calculators online, I used this one - http://tire-size-conversion.com/tyre-size-calculator/

Yes it'll be 2cm wider and I think 225 is the maximum width you can have on a 7" rim (I run the same size on 17s) but I would let Tony confirm that first. You could fit the 215 but the speedo would under-read slightly.

It really depends on the tyre you get but with a wider profile you will get more grip in the dry. If you get budget tyres wet grip would probably be worse - one reason I don't get budgets anymore! If you go for an asymmetrical tread pattern you will also experience more tramlining compared to a directional or symmetrical pattern. Plus with a 45 profile the ride will be firmer as well.

I was recommended the Vredestein Sessanta, which I run on the front of my Accord (during the warmer months) and while I did experience tramlining to start with it did reduce once they had done a few miles. They are brilliant in the dry and wet but as I run winter tyres I don't know what they're like in the colder months. TBH both of the ones you have mentioned as very good tyres so I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Hmmm, I don't understand why all the tyre places I approach are saying they are dubious about putting them on.. I contacted f1 autocentres who said they would fit them but they don't think I should use that size... They have the best price at £328 for all four! Perhaps they just aren't as knowledgeable as you guys!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, merry Xmas everyone!

I had my new tyres size fitted yesterday 225 45 17 eagle f1s, I was wondering what tyre pressurei should now be using? It ran at 33psi all round on the 205/50/17.

Also the steering is now not centred and it vibrates from 70-80 and unstable feeling. Would the bigger tyres accentuate a misalignment?

Cheers

Phill

The pressures can stay the same, maybe increase/decrease slightly to your liking.

The off centre steering wheel is down to the tyres, you will need a geo done to get it centred.

Vibrating is almost certainly the balancing, I would get them to re-check it. Did they use the centre hole of the wheels to balance or stud holes? The former is a cosmetic hole and not always in the centre so when the wheel is mounted on the car using the stud holes the balancing might be out.

Ok thanks, they look really flat with 33 so I put 36 in them.

The alignment machine the car went on showed all the alignment as ok, maybe WIM would be better to have it done. I'm not sure how they balanced them or even if they can do it with the other way, I'm sure they could tho as it's a big company! All I know is thay called it a precision balance