Drumming noise under braking

Morning guys.

Ok, my 2006 Mondeo ST TDCi (58k) has started to make a drumming noise under braking. The noise seems to be coming from the nearside rear and can only be heard at say 50-60mph+

I will try to describe the noise,

Imagine a vented brake disc and the braking surface has been worn down to nothing just leaving the outward pointing vents. It sounds as if I were braking against a worn disc like that (obviously I'm not as the rears are solid).

I jacked it up and had a butchers at both sides. Discs and pads all had loads left on them (replaced 12k ago roughly) (I only do 4-5k a year). I also thought it could be a wheel bearing and only making a noise when loading up under braking. But there was no play in either side. There were no deposits on the discs either.

Basically I'm at a loss and the next step is to start replacing bits unless anyone on here has any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure I've had a bearing go before that had no play in it so I wouldn't rule that out but I think you'd hear that under normal driving as well.

Did you take the pads out, ones not seized is it?

You could try a couple of really hard braking events , say from 70 down to stopped two or three times , it sounds like a disc problem though

Also try lifting the handbrake up slowly when driving and see if you can feel anything

You could try a couple of really hard braking events , say from 70 down to stopped two or three times.

Rah, don't know where I could try that?

Also try lifting the handbrake up slowly when driving and see if you can feel anything

Will do, thanks for your reply

• 2 weeks later...

Small update to this.

I've been sooo busy recently so haven't had a chance to get the wheels off again and have a play.

I lifted the handbrake while driving as suggested and the noise is still there.

But more importantly I'm 99% sure it's the bearing as its starting to whine a little now.

I'm concerned because often on the rear the tyres wear in a "heel and toe" fashion, a kind of up/ down configuration between the tread blocks. This pattern of wear generates a type of harmonics that resembles a worn bearing. I urge you to swap the rear wheels side-to-side and see if the noise transports?  

Hi Tony,

Apologies for not replying earlier been out all day.

I have discovered that the noise does not disaper when turning left or right on the motorway, so I'm guessing that rules out the bearing?

This noise is a different noise to the one I get when braking.

I will swap the wheels over later this week and give it a try at the weekend. Could this possible tyre fault also cause the drumming I'm getting when braking?

It's not a fault with the tyre. The reason for the heel+toe wear is subjective and in the industry argumentative? Fact is certain tyres are more susceptible due to the tread configuration, directional tyres suffering the worst but in my experience there's two criminals those being the rear toe angle and weight transition allowing a pattering effect that favours some tyre blocks.

Today I swapped the wheel for the spare and went for a spin. The drumming noise under braking was still there

Once back home I took the wheel off again and inspected the disc. I don't know how I missed this, but the pad on the inside was only making contact with 2/3rds of the disc leaving a ridge where there was no contact. I didn't take anything else apart incase the pad fell apart. So it looks like new discs and pads are in order. Actually do I have to replace both sides or can I get away with just the one?

Pics

Inside

41D45EA8-FD47-4088-B677-72498F84CEFE.jpg

Outside

780E7E77-9CD0-4CA8-8A76-BFED1647FD07.jpg

Cool.

As are most people now a days I'm on a budget. Obviously brakes are very important and don't want a product that will fail after 5 mins, but I also don't want to pay top dollar if you can get an acceptable product cheaper.

What are your opinions on Mintex?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm?itemId=261328972818