Nissan R34 GTT

liner33

Nice one on the pass!

How is removing the HICAS going to effect how the car drives/handles?

Sounds like you had a good drive there then! :lol: Don't blame you for getting it done earlier next time.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I removed it on my last Skyline as it had an issue and caused a shimmy at about 120mph which was unsettling the car drove much better afterwards but i did a few other things at the same time

Essentially it's a good system but its complicated , subject to wear and expensive to fix

Drifting is lame though ;)

Its there to improve high speed stability , and it does a good job , my problem is that the ball joint that sit inside the hub have the rubbers just starting to perish , these joints are £50-£75 each , changing them isnt easy as you need to remove the whole hub and have them pressed out /in , and the rack and rack ends are subject to wear just like conventional steering so i could be swapping parts for a while , a hicas eliminator kit is around £200 and the whole lot (5kg) is removed

tumblr_m7oqp6IobX1r49poio1_400_zps8d78c6e9.gif

nissan_zpsa5e76432.jpg

The snow has made for a busy weekend for me, tucked away in the garage

First job was to respray the passenger side door handle , didnt take any before pics but the paint had peeled off in places and it looked really shabby , luckily i managed to mask it up on on the car and sand it back, spray with high build primer and then sand it again before applying the top coat and primer . Looks as good as new now

P1000207_zps5dcb20b4.jpg

Next job was to fit the new head unit , I plumbed for a Pioneer DEH-80RS since it had built in bluetooth and the adjust-ability I wanted, plus it was in the sale........bonus

Taking apart the 34's dash isnt the easiest and jap plastics scratch so easily as ive learnt to my cost in the past so its worthwhile masking everything up before your start

P1000189_zps92cc510f.jpg

Buts its all in and works very well, the phone kit is very clear , sounds awesome for a simple set up

P1000197_zps62ce0224.jpg

Then I went around and addressed all the stone chips on the car about a dozen in total, I cleaned them up , primed them, gave them two coats of paint , levelling and sanding them with 3000 wet and dry between every stage and finally applying laquer

Then all that was needed to a go over with the rotary to remove the sanding marks

P1000205_zps4d9adede.jpg

and while I was waiting for the various stages to dry I was putting together my R33 GTR;)

P1000208_zps41a327ef.jpg

Lovely day here today so took the opportunity to wash the salt off it

Also added some NISMO (Nissan Motorsport) badges since the car came from the factory with quite a few Nismo options fitted it kinda made sense plus i didnt like the standard Skyline S in the grille and the rear was a bit bare really. Still not really happy with the front end but i'll live with it for a while and see what i can come up with

P1000162.jpg

P1000213_zps2bdafa05.jpg

P1000216_zps87b8e53c.jpg

P1000221_zpseda333c7.jpg

Running out of things to do :(

Refurbed the mats yesterday ie deep cleaned and well scrubbed and repainted the badges and wet vacc'ed the rest of the interior

P1000243_zpsc530d5a6.jpg

P1000244_zps34eccc03.jpg

P1000248_zps67e1bd27.jpg

Took some shots of the interior as well

P1000258_zpsae4e56cd.jpg

P1000255_zpsee44e1f6.jpg

P1000250_zps6076298d.jpg

P1000249_zps99dedd4c.jpg

Well done; they look good and prompt me to ask a question.

I've got my winter mats in. They are made from some kind of elastomer, fit well and have a turned-up rim so that none of the water and mud from by boots escapes.

They are a pale grey colour to match the upholstery, but they do stain brown from the mud that I trail onto them. It all seems to be on the surface but I can't find any way of getting them clean again. I have tried scrubbing with hot, soapy water and various domestic cleaners. The liquids sold for cleaning car plastics don't seem to touch them.

Any ideas anyone?