06 mk3 MK5 Sport handling issues

My partner has a 06 MX5 Sport, the handling is IMO, terrible, the issue is the stability of the rear end, it feels lose and moves around when coming on and off the throttle aggressively or if it hits any road undulation when cornering, for context the car has 54k miles wearing Pirelli tyres with good tread and pressures checked.

An inspection showed a huge amount of play in the lateral arms so I’ve replaced the bushes but it’s not improved things.

It’s my intention to visit Tony for a full alignment and possibly their lowering springs but I feel I should try and resolve the underlying issue first, is it worth me sourcing/replacing anything else such as the drop links beforehand, could it be worn out dampers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi welcome to WIM :)

I would get a geometry done first with a full report and printout then go from there. There is no point replacing parts if there is nothing wrong with them. If the car hasn't been lowered back to normal height (I think the MK3 was raised for the UK) then I think this is a must if you want good handling.

Hello

Sorry to say your description is typical for the "as sold" NC.  Since the car is the sport then it would have the yellow gas dampers and they seem to be indestructible so at 54k their fine. The OEM drop-links are a weak link ( no pun intended ) so it's wise to replace these with the metal one's MX5 parts sell. Nevertheless they are a redundant item so not your complaint.

I'm surprised about the worn lateral arms, AKA the four-links,I've never declined a car because they are worn or replaced any due to worn bushings.

We find on the "as sold" NC the camber angles are in the wrong position and as evident in your case the toe angle is incorrect. The issue with the toe is the lateral forces wants to steer the tyre in a different direction of travel. The lateral force loads the tyre side-wall which off bump unloads momentarily steering the rear. It's an uncomfortable feeling and unpredictable.

Correcting the geometry with the raised position betters the handling but if you desire the real Mazda promise you will need to lower the car back to the design height.

Thanks for the reply Tony, I think I'll replace the drop links as a precautionary measure (given they're relatively cheap anyway) nice to know the dampers are unlikely to be the issue.

I'm amazed at that handling characteristic, it feels borderline dangerous, I'll be in contact, is there a deal to be done on 4 new tyres, springs and alignment?

Hi welcome to WIM :)

I would get a geometry done first with a full report and printout then go from there. There is no point replacing parts if there is nothing wrong with them. If the car hasn't been lowered back to normal height (I think the MK3 was raised for the UK) then I think this is a must if you want good handling.

Thanks for the welcome Rich, I was aware of Mazda ruining the handling by raising the ride height, but this is worse than that a little Mazda 2 it  replaced, the bushes I replaced had completely disinterested causing a significant amount of play (definitely an MOT failure) so it's made me suspicious of everything.

I'm sure we can work something out....

Sadly many times owners have said if we don't improve the handling they are going to sell the car :o ... Initially i knew what Mazda had done in the EU but said little online about it. My tipping point was a lady who test drove the lowered NC but bought the "as sold" NC and i thought that was really dirty of the dealer to do that and for that reason i went public.

Some people online think we are blowing bubbles and out for a quick buck regarding the raising so to prove the point i asked an owner who was picking up his new car and coming to us for the lowering and my question to him was can i take his brand new car to a MOT testing station to check the headlight aim and......It failed because the beam was to high. As most would know the test had no manipulation by us. 

I'm sure we can work something out....

Sadly many times owners have said if we don't improve the handling they are going to sell the car :o ... Initially i knew what Mazda had done in the EU but said little online about it. My tipping point was a lady who test drove the lowered NC but bought the "as sold" NC and i thought that was really dirty of the dealer to do that and for that reason i went public.

Some people online think we are blowing bubbles and out for a quick buck regarding the raising so to prove the point i asked an owner who was picking up his new car and coming to us for the lowering and my question to him was can i take his brand new car to a MOT testing station to check the headlight aim and......It failed because the beam was to high. As most would know the test had no manipulation by us.

Thanks Tony, tried calling but I understand you're out until tomorrow so I'll call back then.