Home Insurance (Contents) Excess

Rich

Got my renewal from the AA, £93 up £20 from last year! The best quote so far on money supermarket is from Admiral at£55. That is with a £300 excess though, if I remove that and have the £100 compulsory it's £71.

I'm just wondering what others do. Do you prefer to pay abit more and have the lower excess or do you just go with the cheapest?

I'll try and quote directly through Admiral as they're doing around £20 cashback but I bet the quote will be higher.

That's only contents though, don't need buildings and it's for up to £40k. I think I'll pay more and go for the lower excess.

Tony, we didn't have it for years but really you should, what would you do if you lost everything?

I echo the above comments Tony... Whilst i think insurance is crazy for some things.. Buildings and contents insurance is a must!... Your worried about losing data on a laptop... But what would happen if you house burnt down? You would loose everything and not have any money to rebuild the house and all your belongings

• 2 weeks later...

The £55 quote I got from Admiral was for only £15k worth of cover, not sure what happened there as I put a higher amount than that in, which was £40k.

Anyway I phoned the AA yesterday and said the cheapest quote I had got was £66.50 from Admiral, Direct Line and The AA themselves as a new customer.

He said he would need a reference number for the quote to price match which I didn't have so said I would phone later once I have it. So he checked whether he could match that price first and I said if you can't then I'll just cancel it now. The cheapest he could do it without me supplying a reference number for other quotes was £66.63!! :lol: So I renewed straight away and that's with a £150 excess (£100 is compulsory), plus cover for personal possessions away from home.

I also get 12 months free roadside cover as well with that but I'm not sure if it's just for me or the missus as well, the policy is in both names.

We usually get the RAC with Tesco clubcard points, which is due in June so if we both get a card with the AA I won't bother renewing. Although I've never used recovery I hope I don't need it. I could get a single RAC membership from Tescos with recovery but it's only £8 cheaper than the joint one.

Get quotes from the comparison sites and if The AA come out near the top do one via topcashback for another £20 back, could make it very cheap - http://www.topcashback.co.uk/aa_home_insurance/

Mine was around £50 last year after cashback. I could've got it cheaper than £66 if I had switched to someone else but the difference was minimal and I couldn't be bothered. Plus if we get joint AA breakdown cards that will save us £40 worth of clubcard points for something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my AA membership and it's only for me not the missus so she'll still have to join with the RAC again when it runs out. Being a joint policy I was hoping we'd get one each.

Have you sorted yours yet Tony?  :whistle:

• 11 months later...

That time of year again, my renewal was £80 this time. I did all of the comparison sites and the AA was the cheapest again at £67 so renewed at that :)

I could've gone with AXA/Swiftcover via quidco for around £50 after cashback but the reviews I've read for them are terrible so decided not to. 

Bradford & Bingley was £73 with a £50 voluntary excess and included emergency assistance but I don't need that as I rent.

• 1 year later...

I realised the other day my insurance runs out today and I've not been sent a renewal letter! I needed the documents for our mortgage application so that was lucky. Quick online quote and Tesco was the cheapest at £62 for £75k of cover, the AA is £40k but I don't even have contents worth that much.

Just phoned the AA and my renewal was £74, so told them Tesco was £62 and they just dropped it to £60 after a quick check. It does make you wonder what their profit margins are!

Sorted now until I need to add buildings insurance but if they hike it too much it'll probably be cheaper to cancel and go with someone else?