Must be the worst steering wheel "EVER!"........

Tony

They obviously did not anticipate how safety standards would evolve and imagining the contortions of your arms needed to get at the switches inside the wheel is mind boggling.

I do agree with Viking though, externally, the vehicle looked a real rocket.

I've just Googled the car, I had never heard of it, it looks like a cross between the Countach and a DeLorean! The steering wheel does fit the design of the car but isn't very practical when it comes to using the switches/stalks.

Why would it be difficult to operate switches in the middle of the wheel? Surely they're more accessible than ones further away?

I was thinking from more of a steering POV, if you needed to use them while turning it could be tricky.

Why would it be difficult to operate switches in the middle of the wheel? Surely they're more accessible than ones further away?

But they are not in the middle of the steering wheel; they are on a boss which is several inches behind the steering wheel rim and which does not rotate with the steering wheel. So, to get at the switches you either have to go in through the gap behind the steering wheel or go over the steering wheel and reach forward into the well that contains the boss with the switches. Either way, ergonomically, it's a dog's breakfast.

This picture shows how far behind the wheel-rim the switches are. http://www.supercarfrance.com/Dream-Torino/Part-2/34-Italdesign_Boomerang.JPG

if you ignore the switch gear its a great design better than many other cars

Perhaps you are thinking of cars from the past?

I wouldn't be happy these days with a steering wheel that had no adjustment for height and reach.

I don't think of my car as having a particularly outstanding steering wheel layout, but compared with that of the Boomerang, it's a work of genius. Lights, wipers, indicators, cruise control are all accessible without taking a hand off the steering wheel. In addition there are thirteen other switches on the wheel itself each of which is in reach of left or right thumb and all of which are replicated in a visual dashboard display so that you can see exactly what change is being invoked.