Honda Civic 1.6. SE Executive Auto

Rich

I've taken some proper photos now so time to start a blog! :D

Here is the car, completely standard and will be staying that way. Only plan is to get the K&N panel filter, do a service and get the MOT done.

honda_civic_01.jpg

honda_civic_02.jpg

honda_civic_03.jpg

honda_civic_04.jpg

New brakes arrived today, the rear pads are so small compared to others I've fitted. The rear discs are also solid and the fronts are vented. I'm going to fit these on Saturday or at least get the fronts done. From what I've read the only problem I may get is the 2 screws holding the disc on. If they round out I have to drill them out!

rear_pads.jpg

rear_discs.jpg

front_discs.jpg

The front pads came with some backing plates, which I'm assuming are to stop brake squeal? So if I fit these does that mean I don't have to apply copper grease? Also what are the clips on top of the pads for? There were also 2 bolts in the box, I assume 1 per side, anyone know what this bolt replaces?

front_pads.jpg

front_bits.jpg

WP_20140724_18_54_09_Pro.jpg

A large screw driver should do the trick, never known anyone to drill them out! if you do that have you got replacements?

Backing plates in the kit do i have to use them?...........their in the kit what do you think? :thumbsup_anim:

Clips on top of the pads will become apparent when you replace the old ones ;)

A large screw driver should do the trick, never known anyone to drill them out! if you do that have you got replacements?

After years of rust and corrosion using a screwdriver doesn't always work according to the Civic forum. All you will end up doing is rounding the heads off, if that happens they need drilling out. So you need an impact driver to shock them out instead.

Backing plates in the kit do i have to use them?...........their in the kit what do you think? :thumbsup_anim:

I didn't ask if I had to use them, obviously I will! I want to know if they replace the job that copper grease does. I don't want to put some on and it stops these plates from doing their job but then if I leave it off I don't want to redo it cos I've got brake squeal!

Clips on top of the pads will become apparent when you replace the old ones ;)

I thought they were wear indicators, maybe make a noise when the pad gets down to their level.

i know your not supid ER but dont use a hammer drill. you need to use an impact driver (a tool you hit with a hammer and it rotates the screw head slightly).

also when you come to put the old or new screws in, dont bother doing them up tight. literally they only need to be done with your fingers, as they only provide support to the disk untill the wheel in in place.

I don't have an impact driver though! I suppose I need something like this or this one from Halfords as it's too late for delivery. How do they work then?

Don't worry I won't put them back on tight, in fact you don't really need them as like you say it's only to keep the disc in place without the wheel on.

yes, something liek the first link.

toolstation, halfords, screwfix, cromwells all stock this type of thing.

basically you put the screw driver tip in the driver and locate it in the screw head. you then get a hammer and give a nice positive 'whack' to the end of it and it twists the screw slightly. but by the inpact (going in) and the turning motion means that the head does not get stripped and it comes out easily. :lol:

they are a great tool and well worth the few quid the cost.

Seriously Rich i've never had a problem getting them off, as said they only need to be done up enough to hold it in place b4 the wheel goes on.....unless they've been done up by some gorrila and i would always use copper grease nothing worse than putting it all together go for a spin and they start squeaking and you gotta tear em apart again :lol:

What a day I am knackered, every muscle in my body aches now!!

Fitted the new brakes all round, went ok apart from the flaming showers every 30 minutes!! The little grub screws nearly gave me grief but I hammered on a big screwdriver and it shock them loose ;)

I may have a problem with the front drivers piston seal, as I was pushing it in some fluid came out! Yes I had the cap off so I think there might be a small hole in it? The brakes seems ok, obviously need to bed in but they stop the car fine. The brake pedal does feel abit soft but no more than it did with the old brakes, maybe that's just how they're suppose to be? After a short drive I took the wheel off to see if any fluid was leaking from the seal and it wasn't. Do you think this will be ok or should I get a new piston seal?

As you can see from the crappy camera phone photos the rear discs were very bad, heavy corrosion on them, especially the inside. Looks like new pads were fitted to old discs and buggered them up!

New front brakes

new_front_brakes.jpg

Old rear discs and pads

rear_discs_old.jpg

rear_brakes_old.jpg

Old front discs and pads

front_brakes_old.jpg

Also I noticed this lower arm bush has split. I didn't get time to check it for movement but do you think that will fail the MOT? The other side is showing signs of breaking up but hasn't actually split. They're the originals so done 94k miles.

Split bush

lower_arm_bush.jpg

I'm not so sure TBH, I've had bushes that are separating pass albeit they get an advisory. These bushes are around 3 times thicker than the Mondeo, certainly made to last! Might slap some dirt on it and hope he don't spot it. I'll replace the pair next month then. Are these easy to change, they look like they'll be a sod to get back into the subframe given how thick they are?

The handling is fine as well, but I'm wondering if this could be partly responsible for the clunking noise we get sometimes.

On that Honda Original Parts website a new complete arm is just over £200 for each side and pattern parts seem to be half that. Now after the experience I've had with the later on the Mondeo I don't really want to go that route. The originals have done 94,000 miles so it makes sense to replace with OEM IMO.

However, the website also lists the bushes, the big and small ones are around £13 each (they list 2 for the large one) so say just over £50 for all 4 and then £20 for 4 new bolts, which is better than £400! Looking at the diagram the ball joints are part of the knuckle so should be ok but you can buy new dust caps.

So depending on how much it will be to get the bushes pressed in I think I'll do that.

How can I find out what large bush I will need, they list them as:

PFKL651355 BUSH, FR. COMPLIANCE (TOKAI) £12.96

PFKL651356 BUSH, FR. COMPLIANCE (YAMAs**tA) £13.86

If its leaking change it but its not unusual for then to weep a little when disturbed so just keep an eye on the level

Its also normal for the brakes to be a bit spongy for a while as they bed in can take up to 500miles or so to improve but they should start to feel better soon but if you havent already then think about changing the fluid and bleeding them all to be sure

Yes I'll be keeping an eye on the level, I just had visions of the brakes failing but that's probably just me being paranoid! The fluid looks very clean, like it's been change recently, I'll look in the history to see. If there's no mention of it I'll get it done and do the seal as well just to be sure.

Fluid level seems to be ok so far, will see what happens with the brake test at the MOT tomorrow.

Here is a diagram of the front wishbone, it looks like the ball joint is on the knuckle, is this right or is the moveable part in the arm? I'm not sure how this would be replaced if the bushes were done or it might be a better idea to buy pattern arms instead?

image.php.gif

Passed the MOT yesterday so the car now has 13 months :lol:

Tony, is it ok if I pop over sometime this week to talk about that bush, I'd rather get it sorted than leave it. I've been told pattern arms are £75 each but if I just need to replace that large bush on each arm it might work out cheaper doing that. I suppose it depends on the condition of the horizontal bushes as well as the ball joint. Does that diagram above make sense, is the ball joint part of the knuckle?

Got some roof bars today as well that I won on ebay and borrowed a roof box for when we go away. I have always said to myself I'd never use one but I have no choice now! :lol:

civic_roofbox.jpg

Yeah I know it's gonna use more fuel and I only wanted to check it went on ok today but the missus old man fixed it on! It's slowed the car down already and it's empty so gonna take the bars/box off until we go on Friday and then take it off when we get there! Still can't be much worse than having all the luggage in the boot, back seat, footwells etc :lol:

Yep we shall have a good time...providing it don't rain!

Could that bush be causing the squeak we're getting? It mainly does it when pulling away quickly but sometimes slowly. The missus went shopping earlier and had the roofbox on, her aunt in the car who is on the large side and a boot of shopping. She said the noise was quite bad but not sure where it's coming from. I can't be doing with that when we go away so is it ok to have a look on the ramp Tony? As it gets worse with more weight in the car it must be suspension/bush related?

Still not sure what to do with these bushes, anyone?

I can't find many posts on the forums about them being a problem, but 1 person has said the bushes don't last long whether you get OEM or pattern parts. I can get a new wishbone for £75 a side here but if they're only to last a year or 2 like the Mondeo ones I would rather get OEM bushes pressed in.

Can anyone tell me about these ball joints as well, is it replaced on the wishbone or hub?