S2IM's MK2 1.8iS MX5

S2IM

You say that Rich but shocks are shocks and springs are springs. If the shocks are fubar then the outcome is the same no matter what car they are on. Your shocks were probably just in better nick or as you say - didnt push the car to a level where the shortfall was realised.

Parts have arrived! So all set for tomorrow. Since having the initial check on the ramps I think a couple of the camber bolts needed an extra nip as I get a clunking when pulling out quickly from a junction and then braking afterwards. Had it on the S2000 and they needed another quart turn so stop the clunking but sure it will all get sorted tomorrow.

Just need the bloomin sun visors to turn up now. First day of sun in a whilst on my way in today and I couldn't see a thing. Who'd take a pair of sun visors of a car!? Never even noticed that on the test drive

You say that Rich but shocks are shocks and springs are springs. If the shocks are fubar then the outcome is the same no matter what car they are on. Your shocks were probably just in better nick or as you say - didnt push the car to a level where the shortfall was realised.

They were the original shocks so must've been good! :lol:

Like Tony said as well the 5 is alot lighter so I'd imagine that is the bigger factor in how they perform.

Just need the bloomin sun visors to turn up now. First day of sun in a whilst on my way in today and I couldn't see a thing. Who'd take a pair of sun visors of a car!? Never even noticed that on the test drive

That is abit random! :lol:

Was back at WIM this morning with some parts.

New lower wishbone, camber bolts and another ft long bolt fitted. Joe showed me the old long bolt against a ruler which was bent so that appears to be what was causing the car to not calibrate properly. Also had all the wheels re-balanced and all needed weights adding so god knows what the old tyre fitter was up to when he put the tyres on!

Car has been set up with a semi-fast road setup and that's as good as its going to get due to the height of the car. It really needs to be lowered or have some coilovers fitted.

So the drive to work....

Completely different! I wasn't hanging on for dear life and all cabin vibrations have gone! Grip is as good as its going to get with the tyres I have on and it was an absolute hoot to drive back so very happy! :D

Cheers WIM Chaps!

Forgot to mention... also fixed my water leak into the boot last night. Water was leaking in from the ariel mast. New grommet and sealant added and now sorted.

Next steps this weekend are to fit the sun visors and get new plates made up for the original mountings :)

Steve's not wrong there :lol:

I am pleased the guys hit the nail in the right place and that your now enjoying the true splendour of the MX5...... They are great little cars aren't they :smile_anim:

When talking to some owners i mention that despite all the high end cars we get in the centre i still prefer the MX5 :blink: many might think. Well true the 5 will never be considered a high ender but pound for your buck and smile per mile few cars could compete with them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is rather good isn't it :D Not the fastest but an all round good package.

The great thing is now, since joe moved the super cheap tyres to the back (and the slightly less cheap tyres to the front) to sort out the pulling it makes hilarious noises round round a bouts now! <screeeeeeech>

New wheels have been sorted and picking up next weekend off the owners club which have bridgestones fitted. Hopefully they will last a couple of months before I can get them replaced with new boots. Will be going for Toyo T1Rs.

Keeping the old rims and tyres for some comedy track action :D

Steveo....we need to get something booked!

Rich.... Come along for some sideways fun if you fancy it!

Its currently stuck in my garage. I have ordered a new garage door but until that is fitted i cant get it out as the door will most likely fall off and damage the car!!

When it finally is brought out i need to get it down to the MX5 restorer again for some more work on the front wings and to get it through its first MOT since supercharging. Should be fine as i had Skuzzle do a rolling road tuning session specifically to make it MOT compliant but bracing myself for some fun and games with emissions - you never know until it goes in!

Once both of those have been done i am good to go!

I popped up to see Joe on Saturday to try and sort out the problem with the car pulling to the left after a full geo. The car settings haven't moved so we had a look at the tyres. Decided to move the fronts to the back and see if the problem was still apparent.

Took the car out for a little drive round Chesham and it wasn't pulling to the left any more on coasting etc so I though perfect!

Drove it to work this morning, first time since Saturday... danger will robinson!!

The good news is its defo the tyres, since moving them to the rear the car now "crabs" along the motorway. The rear when you accelerate pushes you to the right so you have to steer to the left to counteract it. Made for a hair rising journey this morning down the A41 and probably confused the hell out of the Mini behind me.

Picking up a set of Sport alloys Saturday with worn bridgestones on so will see what tread is left on those. If they are naff all Ill be replacing them with Toyo Proxies.

Why do people put such crap tyres on these cars I will never know. Its totally ruining what the car is all about :banghead:

the toyos are a good shout - if you fancy something a bit more potent for the track look at the federal RS stuff.

I have Yokohama Parada2's that came on the rims and they are s***e.I will be going onto federals next. I had a go on some at castle combe and though they were good.

Good call by Joe...... Toyos are superb on the 5 so you won't be disappointed there but i have to agree cheap tyres can open a whole world of hurt. Can you imagine how much money can owner could wast trying to find the problem without the likes of Joe saying "it's the tyres".

She told me this morning it felt "slidey" on the way to work and the steering was all over the shop on the motorway. But only told me this morning after I asked.

Indeed Tony - I bet a lot of people have had spent $$$ on trying to look at suspension, brakes etc when it could be something simple like this and hats off to the chaps for being thorough and very honest :)

Ill PM Joe and get a price for the Proxies fitted worst case if the Bridgestones are too worn.

Steve - I like the tread pattern on the Federals but this is my daily hack so I need it to be able to go through standing water without any bum clinching moments! Proxies seem like a good compromise v £.

She told me this morning it felt "slidey" on the way to work and the steering was all over the shop on the motorway. But only told me this morning after I asked.

Sounds like someone else I know!! :lol:

I really liked the Toyos I had on the Mondeo, very grippy in the dry and wet just don't last long!