Noise from Mondeo Mk3 Rear Suspension

For months now I've had a strange noise coming from the rear of my car (2005 Mondeo) when going over rough ground or speed bumps etc. It soulds like a rattle when moving fast over roug ground, but when going slowly for seed bumps etc the noise is more like a "squelch" and appears to be coming from the nearside shock absorber area.

So far I've changed the drop links and the nearside shock top mount, but I'm thinking it may be time for new rear shocks, yet I'm reluctant to throw money at it until I know for definite what it is. I'm also sick of garages automatically assuming that because it's a noise from the rear of a Mk3 mondeo that it's the subframe bushes, as I've had the bolts out and they look solid as a rock, which I'd expect on a 2005 car.

My opinion is that the noise seems to be coming from the top of the nearside shock, and is possobly something to do with the rubber bump stop (as I've changed the mount)? I've sprayed white grease up in round there and it's stopped for a few days.

I'm stumped, and nobody on MEG knows what it could be either.

Help?

Thanks for reply Tony, so does that mean new shocks?

If yes, I have another scenario. My Mondeo's a Zetec, which means it originally had 16" alloys (with 205/55 rubber) and slightly stiffer "sports" suspension (which I assume, means slightly stiffer shocks?). However, I have now upgraded to 18" wheels from a Titanium-X so when replacing the shocks, would I be better getting the ones from a Titanium-X rather than the ones originally for my car? I understand Ford fit different shocks depending on the wheel size.

couldn't really be further I'm afraid mate, I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne ;)

Due to your reputation, I am seriously considering making a trip down to see you guys though, reckon it would be worth it! Unless, that is, you know anybody up North who does a similarly good job?

As for rebound, it doesn't seem to bounce excessivly when either rear corner's pushed down, no. However, the car has 102k on the clock, mainly motorway but I'm sure it would benefit from new shocks anyway. It's recently had new Eibach springs fitted, but the noise didn't change and the old springs seemed to be in good nick.

I take it I'd be better fitting the new shocks etc (and I want to replace the other front wishbone, as I only replaced one) THEN getting a full geo done? I'm not getting any excessive tyre wear that I've noticed, which I'm told is strange for a Mondy on 18's!

To make it less like a 4x4 (can't understand why Mondeo's seem to sit so much higher than most other cars). Replaced standard springs with Eibach -30mm ones from Ford. Ford dealer said it'd be ok on standard shocks when only lowering by that amount.

Went from this:

dsc02053op0.jpg

to this:

dsc02298wb9.jpg

So doesn't even look that low.

so, can I just confirm, that it looks like it needs new shocks?

I'll probably replace the other top mount, the gaitors and bumps stops, just so I know everything is "new".

Have them tested first..... It should be easy to identify on a ramp.

Once confirmed replace the dampers with units suitable to reply to the upgraded coils ie: sports dampers.

ok, will get it checked asap.

As for sports dampers, how do you rate the Koni Sports Yellow units (priced at about £115 each!)? Or what would you recommend?

I know it wouldn't be totally perfect, but do you think I'd be able to upgrade to Koni's on the rear this month, and wait a month or two before doing the fronts? If the Koni's were adjusted to the softest setting, would they be that drastically different to the standard Zetec shocks (which are apparently a bit stiffer than normal anyway)?

Do you think the handling would be ruined or badly affected by doing this? Just I've just bought a house and don't have a spare £500 for a full set just yet!

Otherwise, I've heard good things about Monroe Reflex shocks, but are they more like standard shocks than uprated sports ones?

Cheers for all the help so far!

Eibach make their springs so they're compatiable with standard shocks so I thought it would be ok to use these? I used oem shocks when I fitted me eibach springs.

You not thought about getting eibach shocks? One thing with koni is they dont like the camber kits if you ever have to fit one. The tops of the shock (thread part) snaps off!

Hmmm, more options! lol

The Koni's don't like camber kits? I'm only lowered 30mm though, so camber shouldn't be too much of a problem should it? Eibach don't seem to make shocks for the Mk3 Mondeo, or at least I can't find em anyway.

So ya reckon standard Titanium-X shocks (for 18" wheels) would be the best option? Or, would the Monroe's be better than the Sachs (Ford) ones? Both are about same price, but Monroe's have 3yr warranty.

Hmmm, more options! lol

The Koni's don't like camber kits? I'm only lowered 30mm though, so camber shouldn't be too much of a problem should it? Eibach don't seem to make shocks for the Mk3 Mondeo, or at least I can't find em anyway.

So ya reckon standard Titanium-X shocks (for 18" wheels) would be the best option? Or, would the Monroe's be better than the Sachs (Ford) ones? Both are about same price, but Monroe's have 3yr warranty.

Monroe's are pants believe me..... Titanium-X shocks are the best bet, i would love adjustable top mounts but this isn't going to happen and i can compensate for the camber via the toe but it's more problematic.

Titanium-X shocks ;)

I thought lowering mine 30mm wouldn't affect the camber and from the geo report it hadn't, but once they had settled I had wear on one tyre, hence the reason I got the camber kit.

As koni's are adjustable they're hollow and the kit puts more stress on them compared to standard top mounts.

Eibach do the springs on their own and a complete kit. I'm not 100% sure if they sell just the shocks though. Might say on their site.