Rubbing arch issue

thecremeegg

Cross posting from another forum here:

So I have Meister R's all round on my MK1 with the 15" E30 alloys and 195/50 tyres. The issue I have is that when I turn whilst on a cambered surface, ie a gentle driveway onto the road, the wheels scrape like anything in the arches. 

The car is lowered but not very much, see picture below. 

20140907_154323_zpsgrp4zzwr.jpg

It's embarrassing that I can't go down the gentlest of slopes without a horrible scraping noise. What could it be? I've removed the liners and it still does it? 

It's almost like the shock is too soft and when the car leans forward whilst turning the wheel hits the top of the arch? Surely I don't need rolled arches with this setup?

Is it possible for the coilovers to be back to front or something? If I were to bring it in to WIM would you be able to advise?

So if your wheels are full lock left or right and you go over a dip the tyre contacts the top lip of the arch?

If that is the case i would say your damper is weak or you need to uprate the front ARB to stop the wheels lifting so much

One more question did you have the geometry re-set after the install? If yes what end positions are the front camber and castor.... From the image the castor looks way to far positive.

I did have it done yea, you guys did it about a year ago? :D 

So if your wheels are full lock left or right and you go over a dip the tyre contacts the top lip of the arch?

If that is the case i would say your damper is weak or you need to uprate the front ARB to stop the wheels lifting so much

Yea it contacts the roof of the arch it seems rather than the edge of the arch. How would I test for a weak damper, is there any way? 

I would have expected the tyre to make contact with the lip of the arch, not the top of it.

If you open the bonnet and push down on one corner at a time... Does the front 'bounce'or drop more than the rear?

To me it seems that you could possible have the springs the wrong way around ( but not sure if this is possible with your suspension ) as generally the rears are softer than the fronts.

Or your shocks just are not damping the impact enough.

I would have expected the tyre to make contact with the lip of the arch, not the top of it.

If you open the bonnet and push down on one corner at a time... Does the front 'bounce'or drop more than the rear?

To me it seems that you could possible have the springs the wrong way around ( but not sure if this is possible with your suspension ) as generally the rears are softer than the fronts.

Or your shocks just are not damping the impact enough.

I'll try that later on and see. I didn't change the springs etc as they came already assembled from the factory but I guess they could be wrong....

In that case the castor would be between 4d 30' and 5d 30' so not that..... Are the coilovers top-mount camber adjustable?

That means nothing to me but I know you know your stuff :D 

I don't think they're adjustable at the top mount, only the stiffness from 1 - 30 or something.

The issue I have is that when I turn whilst on a cambered surface, ie a gentle driveway onto the road, the wheels scrape like anything in the arches.

It's embarrassing that I can't go down the gentlest of slopes without a horrible scraping noise. What could it be? I've removed the liners and it still does it?

Please clear this up before we continue...

Have you or have you NOT removed your arch liners?

I cannot see it possible unless an elephant sat on your bonnet that the tyre would touch the roof of the front arch..

It is very possible it is catching on the lip of the arch at the top, but no way will it touch the roof of the arch.

In the post above (quotes) you say you have removed the liners... But in the post above this postyou state they are still in.

We cannot help if you dontgive accurate iinformation as we areon the other side of a computer screen.

Please dont take this post as aggressive or ranty... I \ we want to help you but we cant if we are not given correct information