Suspension Dynamics Calculator

Kozy

Thought I'd post this here, for use/discussion/constructive criticism etc.

It's a suspension dynamics calculator, which calculates roll angles and load transfers, allowing you to see how changes to the vehicle set up affect them. The 'magic number' is the Front Lateral Load Transfer Distribution (FLLTD) which is the portion of the total load transfer that is taken by the front axle. Since we know that tyre load sensitivity dictates that a load differential across an axle pair results in a reduction in the total lateral tractive force of that axle pair, we can take this number as an indication of a cars tendency to understeer, with a higher percentage meaning more understeer.

http://blackartracing.zxq.net/Load%20Transfer%202.php

There are DC2 and MX5 versions in the sidebar. 

It won't work on Internet Explorer, some mobile devices may not render it correctly and if you have an over zealous AV program installed it might accuse it of being a spam site. I assure you it is not, I wrote it myself and all it is is some HTML, PHP and JavaScript.

The MX5 data was published on the Fatcatmotorsports tech pages. Should be pretty accurate, that guy knows his onions.

DC2 info was found from various threads on the Honda Tech Autocross forum. These figures probably aren't quite as accurate, but should still be pretty close. The front ARB is mostly a guess on that one as it's a horrid shape.

If anyone has better info, or has enough data to warrant creating a page for another car then I'm happy to update.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First of many articles where I attempt to mash some words together into some sort of explanatory article, to help make sense of the horrid abuse of numbers I have created!

This one starts off the chassis articles, I posted this one on this forum a while back but it's been updated with interactive calculations,

http://blackartdynamics.com/Chassis_Articles/Tyres_and_load_transfer.php

I don't think it's the sort of thing that can be dumbed down.... Meaning if you were explaining partial physics they couldn't be called "those small grainy things". I think your efforts are very good but the reader would need a level of engineering understanding to fully appreciate the paper.

Yes that makes sense, something I'll have to make do with I guess.

I'll try and make it as accessible as possible but it's never going to be simple. The website is predominantly about the maths involved with vehicle dynamics so if people have an aversion to numbers and algebra then it's going to be a bit of a turn off!

Thanks for the kind words Tony.

Really I am only just scratching the surface of this subject myself. The amount I do not know is simply staggering, but I will be using the website to log my learning process and maybe tag a few people along in the process. :)

I've just been having a look at something by someone with a good 20 years experience on me:

http://www.dynatune-xl.com/uploads/1/2/6/7/12673370/dynatune_7.0.pdf

Just... wow. I can't even begin to comprehend the amount of science involved there!

Another article, this one based on the performance limitations of naturally aspirated four stroke engines, and calculating your engine's PI number which is a simple as bore, number of cylinders and power, and is comparable across pretty much any NASP 4 stroke piston engine. 

http://blackartdynamics.com/EngineLimits/Index.php