Puncture

Sagitar

My daughter sent me this picture last night.

post-756-0-15605500-1515801819.jpg

Just before she got home the TPMS told her she had a problem with a tyre. She made it onto her drive and on getting out of the car could hear the sound of escaping air.

She's had to take a day off work today. She had some difficulty finding a matching tyre, but found one eventually together with a mobile tyre fitter who was due to visit her this afternoon.

I haven't spoken to her this evening but I'm assuming all is now well.

The car is a BMW  SUV. She bought it new last March so the tyre will not have a huge mileage on it. It's not (I believe) a run-flat but I assume it will not be cheap to replace.

Incidents like this indicate how much more inconvenient (and costly) it is to deal with a "serious" puncture now that cars do not have a spare.

I talked to her further on Sunday.

She said that the TPMS had initially given her a warning not to drive above a certain speed. She was already driving below that speed - in heavy traffic on the A11. There was no unusual noise.

When quite close to home the message changed to set an even lower driving speed. By now she was close to driving onto her drive and the rest of it developed as I described earlier.

I had no idea that her TPMS was so sophisticated. Mine just tells me that the tyre pressure is outside the set tolerance.