S2IM's MK2 1.8iS MX5

S2IM

They should last well on an MX5 as it doesn't have the same weight as your Mondeo over the front

With the way you drive!  :whistle:  But yeah they'll last abit longer, I got about 8k miles out of the fronts!  :banghead:

they will last ages depending on your driving style. I went on a couple of track days, and all sorts over 2/3 years and they had loads of meat on when i got rid.

Same for my green stuff brake pads - i havent touched them since i bought the car - they just wont die. That said i notice a bit more brake dust these days since the power doubled :lol:

I see a brake upgrade on the horizon :whistle:

Not for me! ;) standard brakes are fine still despite increased wear. I have braided lines which helps but outside of that the disc size is still a good match. If it was a 1.6 i would be in agreement though - since they have smaller discs.

Macca on the other hand might go for that as part of his plans.... we will have to wait and see!

admittedly i was standard (same discs and pads and standard lines) last time i was on track and wasn't able to get any fade on some big stops from 100+ mph. Now i have braided lines i expect to be closer to the limit but still ok despite slowing down from around 120mph or so. I am generally pretty light on braking technique and clutch work which is probably the reason why they have lasted so well. I think the technique also factors in in terms of heat soak etc.

Me macca and my other friend rich are due to hit the track in our wagons in may sometime (maybe bedford or brands) so that will be the true test. But based on what i have done so far i think i will be ok.

If anyone else wants to come along with their cars or watch etc they are more than welcome.

Nothing set in stone yet - its mainly dependant on me getting the car sorted and MOT'd. i think the others are ready.

I can start a new event thread when we have an idea but it will probably be a friday/saturday and an open pit lane so we can go out whenever.

Last time we went I was in the s2000 and that was pretty hairy on the limit compared to yours which was chuckable yet controllable so looking forward to that.

My off at nearly 100mph onto the pit straight still makes me cringe after it gave way with no warning. I reckon the tyres were cooked. It also had brake fade on the day from that long straight!

Last time we went I was in the s2000 and that was pretty hairy on the limit compared to yours which was chuckable yet controllable so looking forward to that.

My off at nearly 100mph onto the pit straight still makes me cringe after it gave way with no warning. I reckon the tyres were cooked. It also had brake fade on the day from that long straight!

that last right hander before the pits catches everyone out - its got positive camber so the cars go light under power and was the perfect recipe for oversteer. I loved that corner!

you saw how much fun it was standard so you will have a great time playing

What a long day! Up early and drive down to Maidstone to pick up a set of standard sport wheels which the seller said had "good tread".

2 did, one down to the limit and the other close to it. Wheels were in great condition however so bought them anyway. Must have been sat there for so long as the bridgestones had cracks in them. Tyres were effectively written off.

Popped by to see Joe with the wheels and they have now been replaced with the Proxy T1R's.

Rich helped fit them (well did it all :) whilst I stood and made sure it was being done right) and we went out for a blast.

Result... No more pulling. No more wobbles from the steering and oodles more grip. Very happy.

Got a pic but can't upload so will have to see if I can link it somehow.

Just need to get the body roll under control next and lower it then I'll be happy with it for a whilst!

• Like 1

Those tyres were crap, definitely a good idea to change them before we swapped them over  :smile_anim:

I think you scrubbed them in well on those roundabout, how grippy even with the slight body roll!!  :D