Horror of the week 18/ 12/ 12...... Bolt from the blue.....

Tony

BMW Mini

Complaint

Bolting from side-to-side on bumps....

The reason was diagnosed as worn coils ( not by us ) so the owner decided to buy new coils then let us fit them and reset the geometry. I had already explained on the phone that worn coils wouldn't make the car bolt left/ right but he bought them regardless.

Once the car was in we found this>

post-2-0-25652800-1355842209_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-38027900-1355842224_thumb.jpg

Totally destroyed suspension top mounts, in fact it was so bad the damper shaft could have torn through the mount.

Exactly........ We hit the nail on the head with a 20ft test drive and lifting the bonnet. We still fitted the coils because the owner had already bought them, shame really since this was afew £100s wasted on coils that didn't need replacing.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done exactly this to a 205gti. I slid off the road (inappropriate speed/braking for conditions of course) and went straight across a set of kerbs with the wheels locked up and it hammered the shocks all the way through the travel and deformed the shock upper mount into a nice dome. I didn't realise until after both macpherson struts were replaced and the tracking done (at home with track-stick) but it still wouldn't run straight. If I had known WIM back then, it would have been cheaper and easier to get a professional opinion to start with!

Lucky for me & the 205, the upper mounts are part of the inner wing and made of normal body-steel, So it was possible to flatten them with a mallet.

Cast top-mounts like the MINI and BMW and others mean that it's a definite point of failure and will have to be replaced, or scrap the car. Did the customer plan to have them replaced Tony?