Battery or charger

I've got an old battery in the shed that I run 12v things from. I charged it up last week and out it back in the shed when it was full. Went to use it the other day and it barely ran the compressor I had connected to it. So I put it back on the charger and it doesn't seem to go over 50% now.

The charger seems to be giving off a burning kind of smell too, which hasn't happened before. Could a knackered battery cause the charger to do this? I'm going to try and pick a used one up and see if the charger works with that.

Could be either.

I'd suspect the charger to be faulty as theoretically it shouldn't be the battery because all the protection circuitry should be in the charger. Also the battery didn't charge properly even though it indicated it did lends itself towards the regulator in the charger.

It it's an old charger though, the circuitry may not have all the protection in and the battery is drawing too much current so overloading it.

If you can borrow a battery first I would. or, do you have any 12v lamps? (at least 21w). This will draw a bit of current and you'll see if your charger is ok. Only us a a lamp to test as the voltages out of chargers is quite dirty and can damage other equipment.

Don't borrow Parth's battery though, his has been knackered for years!  :lol:

Thanks Geoff :)

I used it about 5 weeks ago when the battery went flat in the Accord and it charged it from 75%-100% in about 2 hours. I didn't notice any smell or funny business going on then.

When I charged the battery in the shed it was last used 6 months a go but was showing 100% after about an hour. I thought that was quick but had just assumed it didn't need much of a charge.

The charger is a Challenge xtreme, it's probably 10 years old and I can't find the specs online but it looks like this:

batterycharger.gif

The 4 lights on the front go from 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%. When charging the battery the other day, for the second time, I noticed it changed to 75% but then dropped after a while to 50%, so I knew something was up.

By 12v lamp I assume you mean a light bulb? I am clueless about electrical circuits so how would I use a lamp to test the charger?

I've been looking for a used battery on ebay but there are hardly any, I guess they all get weighed in now.

I'm surprised Parthiban's battery is still going in the Lexus! :lol:

Rich, I'm so tight that if I need to get another battery for the car, I keep the old one. I use it as a 12v source for fixing car electronic stuff and when the car gets traded in it gets the old original battery ;)

Btw, the old Argos "challenge" brand is a cheap range so don't expect them to last forever. Mind you, even I would pen it up to have a look inside to see if I could fix it. Treat yourself to a decent charger. I use the ctek 10 amp one

I've always known them to be bulbs! :lol:

Yes I don't expect that cheap charger to last forever, TBH I'm surprised it's lasted this long but in reality it hasn't been used that much, probably less than 20 times.

I have been looking at getting the Ctek MXS 5, which is the one Parthiban got I think - http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS%205.0

It's looking like the Civic's replacement will be a hybrid so I would need a decent battery charger should it ever need doing. Plus I can connect the eyelet to the MX5 and leave the battery in the car over winter. I won't be using it that much once the missus has a new car and I've got the Accord back so a maintenance charge every month might be a good idea to keep it in good condition.

Don't borrow Parth's battery though, his has been knackered for years!  :lol:

Haha, I'm trying to breathe some life back into it but I think I'm going to need to replace it again!

I have been looking at getting the Ctek MXS 5, which is the one Parthiban got I think - http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS%205.0

My CTEK is still going strong, no issues whatsoever.

It's not on the Lexus, that's why it keeps going flat (the solar thing seems to have stopped working I think).

I have the Ferrari permanently plugged in on the CTEK as I use that quite infrequently so it means the battery is always kept perfectly charged.

I thought you might've used it to charge the Lexus battery but then maybe you're just jump starting it?

I put a request in with flubit for the MXS 5 and just bought it for £53 :) Can you charge batteries in the car with the normal clips on or does it have to be connected to the eyelet cable only?

I've left it plugged in to the Lexus battery for the last week to see if it can revive it but not holding out too much hope. But the CTEK is permanently plugged in to the Ferrari to make sure the battery is always good. Worth noting that it isn't a battery charger, it's a tender, it's job is to keep a battery in its optimum condition and good health rather than charge one up.

Either or, the crocodile clips or the eyelets are both fine.

I've left it plugged in to the Lexus battery for the last week to see if it can revive it but not holding out too much hope. But the CTEK is permanently plugged in to the Ferrari to make sure the battery is always good. Worth noting that it isn't a battery charger, it's a tender, it's job is to keep a battery in its optimum condition and good health rather than charge one up. Either or, the crocodile clips or the eyelets are both fine.

It must be a charger, it's called one?  :blink:

I was under the impression it charges the battery and when it's full that's when it'll go into maintenance mode. The only thing it doesn't have is a fast charge mode, which is what my current charger has. I do tend to use that setting the most, so I'm wondering if that might have knackered the battery abit.

As you can use the CTEK with the battery still in the car (can you remove it to charge?) I thought it would be ideal for the MX5 over winter. I have a 50 metre extension cable so could run it round to the back of the house and through a small window to give it a slow charge for a day or 2 when I'm not using it that much. I'll do the same with the Accord maybe once or twice a year, just to try and keep the battery healthy and see if I can get abit longer out of it.

The only thing I am abit concerned about is the 5 year warranty, some reviews have said CTEK aren't interested in sorting any issues out.

Sorry if that sounded confusing, yes it will of course charge a battery but it takes ages as it's primary function is the health of the battery. It'll be fine for what you need it for though. Yes you can charge it on the car or off, my Lexus battery is currently sitting in the garage on the tender out of the car.

• Like 1

Thanks, shame it doesn't state that on the description for it though but yes it should be fine for my needs, especially with getting the battery jump starter for those emergency situations :)

I got home earlier and had a parcel from Amazon, even though I've ordered nothing from there. Opened it up and it's the CTEK. From Amazon it's £58, I got £5 off through flubit and it looks like they've just bought it from Amazon and sent it to me! :D

I got home earlier and had a parcel from Amazon, even though I've ordered nothing from there. Opened it up and it's the CTEK. From Amazon it's £58, I got £5 off through flubit and it looks like they've just bought it from Amazon and sent it to me! :D

Lol how does that make any sense! 

Have you used flubit before, you need to join a waiting list to become a member? For those that don't know you put an Amazon link in and request a cheaper price, if they find one you can then buy it if you wish. So maybe they get a discount from Amazon on everything they buy, which they then pass on to the customer. Still mad though cos I almost bought it from Amazon but then thought I'd try Flubit first.

Have you used flubit before, you need to join a waiting list to become a member? For those that don't know you put an Amazon link in and request a cheaper price, if they find one you can then buy it if you wish. So maybe they get a discount from Amazon on everything they buy, which they then pass on to the customer. Still mad though cos I almost bought it from Amazon but then thought I'd try Flubit first.

No I haven't, prob don't buy enough from Amazon at the moment to bother (when I do I usually need something quick) but I might sign up for that for when I might buy a large item :)

It's only a saving of a few quid, depending on the price they come back with but better in my pocket than theirs! :)

Anyway, I'm going to try the charger on the shed battery tomorrow. Obviously I'll use the crocodile clips to connect it but something in the manual has got me confused when using it in the car.

The PDF manual is here - http://ctek.com/Archive/ProductManualPdf/MXS%205.0_EN.pdf

The diagram shows the clips connected to the battery posts but the description is what's confused me. Step number 2 seems to refer that the black ground clip is connected to the chassis. Is this right or should I just connect it to the negative post on the battery?

For batteries mounted inside a vehicle
1. Connect the red clamp to the battery's positive pole.
2. Connect the black clamp to the vehicle chassis remote from the fuel pipe and the battery.
3. Connect the charger to the wall socket
4. Disconnect the charger from the wall socket before disconnecting the battery
5. Disconnect the black clamp before the red clamp.

Hmmm, interesting, don't think I've ever read that lol. I just hooked mine up straight to the battery!

Who needs to read the manual! :lol:

The diagram contradicts the wording though but if that's how you connect it and it works I'll do that. It's what you do with a portable jump starter but I thought maybe it's different when connected to the mains.

I had the shed battery on charge for 5 hours yesterday morning but then I had to go out so turned it off, it was still on steps 1 and 2.

Do they honestly expect people not to leave the battery unattended until it's reached step 7, that could be a couple of days and I'm not comfortable with leaving it in the house while plugged in. I moved it to the shed when I got back and put the extension cable up there and left it for 8 hours this time, it was still on steps 1 and 2.

The manual says the maximum time for these 2 steps is 8 hours but mentions nothing about what to do if it doesn't go to step 3. The error light didn't come on and the power light was steady so I'm not sure if the battery is knackered or it needs even longer?

I assume that every time I turn it off and back on it starts from the beginning again? I'll plug the extension cable through an upstairs window when I get home and just leave it for a day or 2 and see what happens. It's forecast for rain all weekend so I can't leave it outside.

The sentence doesn't even make real sense. I'd connect directly to the terminal like Parthiban has.

If they had just left it as the chassis then it would but adding the bit about the fuel pipe is just confusing!  :blink:

The CTEK is designed really for use as a tender, so most likely it'll be used in a garage. It really isn't designed to be a battery charger, it's supposed to be used to maintain a battery and occasionally recover it (like I mentioned my 360 is permanently plugged into it).

You need to leave it on consistently, it is the specific process it goes through that revives the health of the battery. Leave it for a week and see what happens, if it doesn't go past step 2 then the battery is dead, that happened with my old Lexus battery. My current one got all the way through to the end so fingers crossed it still has some life in it!

The sentence doesn't even make real sense. I'd connect directly to the terminal like Parthiban has.

Good to know I haven't been doing harm!