Time for a new motor.

Viking

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just popped into Sainsburys to pick up some essentials, and the Polish trolley washers were out in force trying to get people to pay £10 to have their car scratched. He asked me "Car Wash Sir?" and I just walked away, but the wife stopped for a couple of seconds and said "Seriously? You think it needs cleaning?" :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

It's had a broken spring replaced, an ignition switch, and that's about it other than service parts etc.

Time has come to sell as it's had 5 years use from us, is nearing 150k miles, and the right car has just appeared on a car supermarket at a very nice price so it was too good an opportunity to miss really. I wasn't overly impressed with the part ex price I was offered, but a few calls to other dealers revealed they were all in the same area, so I guess that's what it is. And the car we've bought is about a grand cheaper than anything else with lesser spec anyway, so I'm not too concerned. Spent yesterday taking stuff off it which isn't going to be traded in (bluetooth, sat nav etc.) and then the wife can clean all her beauty treatments out of the various cubby holes. Seems to me like women spend more time in cars putting make up on than driving.

The new one is staying a secret for the moment, but suffice to say it's a comparable specification to the Jetta with the options it has ticked.

Tried them. They offered me £200 more than part ex,. Factor in that I'd need to take it there and haggle with them, wait for the money to be paid, get a lift home, then drive 200 miles round trip in the Yeti to collect the new car. Compare that to drive down to the dealers in the Jetta, drop it off, drive back in the new one.

I'm not overly concerned about wasting £50 in fuel and hours out of my life for a possible £200 extra. If it was a reasonable amount of money then it'd be done, but it's not worth the hassle tbh.

Well, it took a sharp wrong turn yesterday.

Ran an HPI check on the car we're buying and it came back as having outstanding finance on it... :rolleyes:

So rather than me talk to the dealers and tell 'em what I thought, the wife took over (good cop - bad cop). She called the dealers and explained what'd happened and the young lady at the other end said "All of our cars are finance clear!" So wife explained again that finance was showing against our prospective purchase on the HPI check we were running. She said she's ask the salesman to contact us and explain the situation.

Wife does a bit more digging in the HPI report (I was at work) and finds the number of the finance company. She asks them about the vehicle and was there any finance outstanding, and the guy at the other end checked on the system and confirmed that the finance had just been cleared. How recently "just" was we don't know but I suspect it was just between checking with the dealer and phoning the finance company. He sent an email with a covering letter stating they have no financial interest in the vehicle any more.

Then the dealer phones and explains that there isn't actually any finance outstanding and sometimes the HPI report can take up to 25 days to update. So wife told him she'd just spoken to the finance company and they'd confirmed the finance had just been cleared. There was a short silence at the other end as the realisation sank in...

"So when are you coming to collect the car then?"

Wife asked for the V5 serial number, V5 issue date, and VIN of the car to complete the HPI check and he said he'd try and email them to us. Nothing as yet other than a screen shot of their computer system showing the cars details on it. I've just sent him a reminder of what we actually asked for.

Talk about being evasive eh. :whistle: