Why so expensive?.....

Tony

I don't know which Brownie you have in mind Tony, but I never saw one that looked anything like that Nikon . . . . . :) 

I think the big boys, Canon, Nikon etc have come to realise that many serious photographers do not want to have to dig around in menus to find a setting and that they would far rather have a complete set of mechanical control knobs such as cameras used to have, even if turning those knobs is just giving instructions to the computer that controls the camera. Many of the cameras that are coming to the market now have a retro look that says this is a "real" camera.

Of course there are many people who don't want to bother with the learning necessary to understand the relationships that affect the changing of the basic settings, so there is a good market for "auto everything".

Providing all the mechanical nobs does not make the camera any less expensive to manufacture, probably just the opposite. The Nikon is not particularly expensive compared with other cameras with comparable specifications. As Rich says, it's a full frame camera and the manufacture of a 36mm x 24mm sensor chip is still a very expensive business.

The Fuji X body that I use has similar mechanical controls but a much smaller sensor. It brings the price down quite a bit, but it still costs close to £1,400 without a lens.

• Like 1

It all depends on how much you love your hobby and if you have the money. There are people who wouldn't think twice about paying that and more for a turbo or supercharger conversion, whereas others just see a car as a means of transport.

• Like 1

Before I gave up all my Canon "heavy" kit in favour of the lighter Fuji stuff I used several versions of the Canon 5D. It's a full frame body aimed (originally at least) at the enthusiastic amateur.

The latest version of the 5D (Mk IV) costs well in excess of £3,000 (body only).

This is not a "niche" camera; it has sold in significant numbers since its inception. I understand that it has been quite difficult to get hold of one recently, there have been manufacturing difficulties in Japan in recent times. Maybe these supply difficulties have contributed to driving up the price.  I think the Nikon D800 is in similar circumstances, but I'm not so familiar with Nikon gear.

Would your love extend to the asking price.

I don't know which normal model it compares to but the pricing is on par with roughly what I'd expect to pay for a good full frame DSLR.

So yes if I was in the market for a full frame camera, then this would be on my list :)