Lotus 7.. Can anyone provide any advice?

There is a chance i may be able to get my hands on a lotus 7 that will require some TLC.

Has Tony or the team got anything to say about the chassis, or suspension that may be able to warn me of possible costs if i where to get it ?

AFAIK the car has been in storage for some years and will need some tinkering to get it running.

Nice buy if you get it....... Out of the box they handle really well. They have a very low COG and a really good balance. As you may know they have a live rear axle so no geometric adjustment there other than shimming the thrust angle. As for the front the camber/ castor and toe is adjustable via shims as for cost it's not a fast calibration so your in the realm of £160+ vat.

Well, been in contact and it may be out of reach for me funding wise :(

the car didnt need as much work as i though and therefore the price was a bit higher than i imagined.

very sucky indeed , but i don't think i could justify the price whilst i could put that sum of money on the mortgage (close to 10K)

lets see what my bonus (if i get one this year) from work... and what saving i can do over the next few months... but i have a feeling I wont be able to accrue over £6k savings in 2-3 months

If you want that kind of 2 seater experience maybe save yourself some cash and look at a cheaper westfield or one of the other clone kits.

Personally - i would be all over a bike engined one  - not fussed on the name!

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bike-powered-cars/cars/mk-indy-2008/2232931?isexperiment=true

I think i will take the plunge at some stage when i get a bigger garage :D

I know chaps... I am digging through my banks / savings right now to see what i actually can afford.

I was expecting the car to be closer to the £5k mark in all honesty... but i guess i'm naive.

with a car that's £8k i may have to hold off for a year or two.

I am trying to shift my mortgage (was £107k) 3 years ago, now £90k...

so the quicker i can reduce that the better really, and with £8.5k - £10k on a car.. in mortgage terms that's equal to around £15300 -> £18000 respectively in mortgage payments...

I hate having such a sensible head on me :(

But it would be an absolute hoot to drive / own / take the kids out in

Only live once...... Boy don't i know that!..... Oddly enough i've been thinking of a NA for some time now... I fancy a real snotter that i can rag on track cos trust me i'm no track day star so if i cook it a snotter isn't end of days.

Tony. my old track car was this 'beast'. a rover 600ti.. was a real s**t bag of a car, but once the interior was removed and the car lightened as much as possible by ripping 'stuff' out. she was a great car but didnt like it as it was FWD.

hmmm.... now to see if i could 'interest' my father....

oh yea, with any dents or scratches on this girl,,, we had a can of halfords spray paint in the car at all times... she looked showroom fresh :lol:

post-1956-0-33058700-1398075868.jpg

post-1956-0-06999300-1398075893.jpg

Oh yeah as you know too well the mx5 drives like a comedy video game. Its easy to hustle it along and have fun at the limits.

The sole reason i sold my 200sx - bloody demo car! I've never laughed like a complete girl while sliding sideways in any car before this!

• 2 weeks later...

Go for it Tony.

You know how good the Hornet is,

Cost of car £750

Roll bar.

Gaz suspension

Two items above not necessary from the get go but will improve the experience.

Get rid of as much interior as you feel comfortable with. 

Poss add race seats + harness

...and away you go.

Athsmatic 85 hp, slowest thing on a Lotus on Track day, but it's good enough to worry an Elise through corners.

Wonderful fun!

h