Uh-oh, I'm joining HOTW!

parthiban

This is a little embarrassing but a good reminder of how a little neglect can go very wrong very quick! The geo on the Merc has felt a bit off for a few months (slight pull to the left) but car felt ok so didn't do anything about it assuming there was time.

Got the tyre pressure warning indicator pop up last weekend, checked the tyres and the front left looked low - tried to pump it up and it wouldn't go above 26psi so took the wheel off and discovered this :sad01_anim:

20130108_120205.jpg

This was obviously a lucky escape and a stark reminder to check my tyres on a regular basis and to maintain regular geos!

See you on Saturday Tony :)

I admit I don't check my tyres as often as I should but our cars aren't known for any wear issues like that. I always run my hand across the whole tread to check they are even though.

Are they runflats or normal tyres?

While inner wear issues were common on the Lexus I don't think it's a problem on the Merc (unless Tony knows otherwise). Give the tyres a quick glance visually every now and then but will start feeling through regularly (as in the pic the rest of the tyre looks spot on, it was only the very inside edge.

These are normal tyres, not runflats, surprised it held together so well - was quite shocked when I saw the state of it.

You were lucky it didn't blowout when driving but like you say when the rest of the tyre looks fine it can be easy to miss. Does the merc have adjustable camber?

Absolutely, it really was a lucky escape. Will be paying a lot more attention going forward.

I think it doesn't as standard, but there are some adjusting bolts that Tony got for us last time it was geo'd that allow camber/castor adjustment.

Was the car pulling left last time you came in.

Can't remember for sure but off the top of my head I don't think it was. Are the bolts something you keep in stock in case I do need them on Saturday?

I thought you said earlier the car already had them fitted? :huh:

I have them in stock.

Cool thanks.

I thought you said earlier the car already had them fitted? :huh:

There were some MB bolts fitted last time but I have no idea what they were for - if there is only one then I think I have them, if there are more than one then I might not!? Tony asked above whether the car was pulling last time which I don't think it was, so maybe I don't have these ones fitted.