Rich's 1999 MX5 1.8i S

Rich

Well the car doesn't need an introduction, if you want to know what's been done before I bought it you can read Iain's blog.

I got the car on Sunday and have used it for a couple of days now and I love it. I can really understand why these appeal so much, they certainly make you grin! :D

I'm loving the handling on the coilovers, although some road surfaces are a little rough so I might have a play with the damping but I think Iain has got it set up really well.

The car still pulls to the right when you brake heavily, under normal driving it's fine and once you've braked a few times it goes away. I'm going to strip the NSF caliper down and check the slider pins, I might even replace them before going the caliper/hose route. From what I have read one slider pin sits inside a rubber sleeve all the way through the carrier so if this is damaged or swollen it could be the cause. A pair of slider pin kits are £20-£25 and I don't think you can buy just the sleeve on it's own.

I also need to clean and regrease the window runners as they're operating slowly and there is also a spring to replace on the door lock inside but they're both easy to sort.

I'll be getting the rear sills replaced before the winter as they have a little bit of corrosion so I don't want this getting any worse. Once that's done I'm going to treat the underneath and sills with some Bilt Hamber.

• Like 1

I'm still grinning! :D

The sills and rails on this car are pretty good though, Iain has had 3 people check them out now and it's only the rear that needs doing.

I can't believe how many websites there are for MX5 parts and they're pretty cheap as well! A pair of NEW (non genuine) front calipers, carriers, pins, boots and clips are £134!!

Cheers mate and yep it's definitely a good car. Considering I was going to get a cheap one and do it up there isn't much I need to do with this one apart from enjoy it! :D

Sounds like Iain is going to enjoy his new motor! ;)

Are you planning on taking it to a track day or anything? Although brilliant on the road you'll only really see how good the chassis is is on the track!

I am going to book in shortly - still putting mine back together after a 1/4 inch ali supercharger tensioner bracket snapped on me in france!

Sounds like Iain is going to enjoy his new motor! ;)

Not sure if I missed this but what was his replacement?

Steve's S3 - got some car swapping going on here! :lol:

Indeed Steves S3. Enjoying having power again :) Although it doesn't have the razor sharp handling of the MX5 its a very sure footed motor with nice luxuries/comfort and Steve did a bloomin good job on taking care of it!

• Like 1

Indeed Steves S3. Enjoying having power again :) Although it doesn't have the razor sharp handling of the MX5 its a very sure footed motor with nice luxuries/comfort and Steve did a bloomin good job on taking care of it!

I enjoyed my passenger ride on Wednesday, certainly a wolf in sheeps clothing!! :D

I've never had a petrol turbo, really need to get one at some point.

Good stuff, nice to see well loved cars moving around the club!  :D

Steve's S3 - got some car swapping going on here! :lol:

All good as long as it's only cars being swapped  :unsure:  :lol:

None of that business going on here ! :D

I enjoyed my passenger ride on Wednesday, certainly a wolf in sheeps clothing!! :D

I've never had a petrol turbo, really need to get one at some point.

Its very much is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Its old enough where a lot of people just think its a slow old thing. Thing is its got a classic purposeful styling that looks great. The number of people in new motors that have been caught out is impressive. Maccas going to enjoy the S3.

Petrol turbos are superb. Get your MX5 sorted Rich then strap a turbo on it. Can be done cheaply if you do the spannering ;) 200-220bhp and a new set of pants?

A turbo would be nice but it all depends on the cost and I really need to try and buy the house first! :) For now I'll just enjoy the car how it is and it's probably a better idea doing that without a turbo seeing that it's my first RWD. I've been reading on Nutz how people have crashed shortly after picking the cars up (usually in the wet), by obviously pressing the loud pedal too much and causing a spin!

Couple of questions for you 5 owners about jacking the car and using axle stands. I know the front subframe and rear diff are the jacking points but the axle stands are supposed to be placed on the sills, which I'd rather avoid doing seeing how fragile they are. I'm sure I could get the stands on the front subframe but where could I put them on the rear? I've not actually looked under the car yet.

Can the car be jacked high enough to get ramps under the wheels? I won't be able to drive up them, it's too low and I don't fancy getting underneath it while it's on axle stands. This is for when I treat all the underneath so need it as high as possible as well.

Also what's the easiest way to remove the oil filter, it seems to be under the manifold but there isn't much room from the top, is getting to it from underneath easier?

Previously I've jacked mine up on the diff casing (block of wood between jack and diff) and axel stands on sills or wishbone mounting points. Another option is make some wood ramps to make the angle up on the ramps more shallow. You can even get pre made metal ones.

You can remove the filter by putting your arm down next to the intake manifold and unscrew it by hand. It's a bit tight but doable. I always get mine out that way. Just put some paper town down under it to catch excess oil.