My first drive in our BMW 318.....

Tony

As some know i bought Elaine this a few months back

post-2-0-68102900-1415179862.jpg

BMW 319i 2008 53k on the clock, one lady owner, FSH.... But up until yesterday i've never drove the car so my first impressions are.....

Negatives

1: Not sure i like the seat adjustment... It goes back and down or forward and up rather than just back and forth meaning for my long legs it looks like i'm sitting in a bucket seat.

2: The steering feels heavy and positive but doesn't return after cornering. This a very different to the Vectra's steering return.

3: Not sure if this next one is good or bad but since it raises "at the time concern" then i'm going to call it a negative. That being the cars engine is silent so when stopped in traffic i keep thinking it's stalled.

4: When i first drove the car the fuel was low, within a few miles a picture of a fuel pump appeared on the dash soon followed by a constant bell/ dinging noise and the a warning triangle with an ! in the middle appeared on the dash. Now this got me worried because it also said fuel range 30 miles? Anyway i tanked it up and everything reset.

Positives

1: As said it's silent so although i need faith in traffic it's not stalled the driving harmonics are near zero.

2: As some know i'm no lover of run-flat tyres but since Elaine has had a hip and total knee replacement there was no option for her sake... Nevertheless the actual ride is as soft as a babies bum but surprisingly also with very little body.

roll.

3: It's full of gadgets and very well laid out. The ICE sounds unbelievable and the heater is hot in a matter of a mile which suits my boney frame.

4: There's no rear window wiper which i thought was going to go in the negative list but the rear de-mist clears the mist and rain water in minutes and then turns it self off, don't ask me how but it does.

5: The windscreen de-mist blower caught me out... Seemingly i had it set on high and when i turned it on my face looked like Clarkson driving the Arial Atom on track, but at least i didn't have to shave that day.

6: When i did fuel her up £30 gave me half a tank which i think is reasonable for a car it's size.

Conclusion

Having never taken much interest in BMW's i have to re-evaluate my opinion from "their ok" to "their good value", so i give it a thumbs up :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

For the rear window something like Rain X will help, we have the same issue with the superb but wife doesnt let me treat the windows as she doesnt like the rain beading off (women eh?)

Maybe the steering might benefit from a geometry check , do you know anyone? ;)

I was going to say maybe it needs a geo! :lol:

Sounds good, I was impressed with my Grandad's (now my Dad's he's given up driving) BMW, you get alot for the money.

I think newer engines are more refined so they do sound quiet.

Glad you're happy with it! :)

Negatives

1: Not sure i like the seat adjustment... It goes back and down or forward and up rather than just back and forth meaning for my long legs it looks like i'm sitting in a bucket seat.

2: The steering feels heavy and positive but doesn't return after cornering. This a very different to the Vectra's steering return.

3: Not sure if this next one is good or bad but since it raises "at the time concern" then i'm going to call it a negative. That being the cars engine is silent so when stopped in traffic i keep thinking it's stalled.

4: When i first drove the car the fuel was low, within a few miles a picture of a fuel pump appeared on the dash soon followed by a constant bell/ dinging noise and the a warning triangle with an ! in the middle appeared on the dash. Now this got me worried because it also said fuel range 30 miles? Anyway i tanked it up and everything reset.

1. Are you sure you're adjusting the slider and not using the height adjustment lever? Your description sounds like the latter.

2. That's standard RWD behaviour - it'll never self-centre in the way a FWD car does. I had the same issue when I first got the Lexus coming out of a FWD car, just takes a bit of getting used to.

3. That's not a negative! Impressed considering it's a 4 cyl diesel, in my experience they generally sound like tractors!

4. Fuel warning is fair enough but a constant dinging would get annoying, how often does it go off?

The steering weight adds confidence but quite a transition from the Vectra, it's not a geometry problem. 

@Parthiban

1: I could only find two adjusters, one for the back rest and the one i described but i'll have another look.

2: Gyroscopic return i hear you.

3: It's petrol

4: It dings about every 5sec but to be fair there probably is a button to turn it off that i haven't found yet?

@Rich

I think it was a BMW advert they balanced a coin on while it was running.