Oh nuts I've damaged the F360.....

Tony

You are focussing on the wrong issue here imo , the crack was formed because the wing flexed when you hit the fence , now its popped back there is no reason to feel its going to crack again (unless something else was damaged)

Filling the crack will look crap until the paintwork is done , you wont possibly be able to do a better job than a bodyshop so why bother , just wait and get it done properly 

Or find a smart repairer to do it , take the car to them so they can assure themselves the wing is stable 

There is a real possibility it will look worse and cost more money to sort after you work on it 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with the above having used filler myself, it's not an easy job to do - abit like plastering or window tinting, let a pro do it. It's fine if it's just a £500 bog standard MR2 but this has a £15k bodykit on it. Surely spending money to get it done properly is the better way to go?

I just begrudge paying so much for so little. The fibre glass kit i will also use to permanently fix the lower part of the wing to stop future movement.  The crack is very small but not even so a repair and sanding will be required and then I'll get a smart repair done for the paint.

You think its a lot because you only see the crack, if someone just fills the crack and paints over that area on its own you will have a terrible mismatch of paint in a really obvious area, its the time taken blending the panels that will make it invisible and good as new and thats what you are paying for 

The first place i tried was talking about removing both wings and the window surround, i fail to see the logic in that other than cost.....A smart repair should be able to match the colour, isn't that what they do.

Looks to me as though it's standing a bit proud on part of one side and by the screen. It's going to take some skill to getting that to look good before paint. As Rich says now I've seen that glue isn't the answer as it will need something else as well.

Does it flex at all at the split if you apply pressure to different parts of the wing?

I've only worked with fibreglass on my ponds so far from any sort of expert but that would have to be cut larger and deeper then built up with fibreglass and resin, then gelcoat. Then it would be able to be sanded and blended.

It would also give you chance to dig away any filler that is underneath to put some sort of strengthener and bound to chassis if needed.

I've had a change of mind, thinking about getting this

post-2-0-19592200-1509090019.jpg

Product description

GELCOAT FILLER is a white, waterproof gelcoat filler for surface repairs. It is paintable, easy to mix, apply, shape and sand. Suited to marine paint, can be pigmented or painted with any marine paint. Use with glass-fibre Mat for structural repairs to GRP and can be used on glass-fibre or gelcoat. It has a working time of 8 min and a curing time of 20 min. Can tolerate temperatures up to +160°C and contains 432g/l solvent.

And then i can use the fibreglass on securing the wings or reinforcing other areas.