Winters on!

CumbrianFoz

Swapped the wheels over on Saturday as we had a couple of cold nights coming - and more to the point the summer rears were on the verge of being a bit naughty  :blush: Went for some Avon WV7's this year on a hunch and the people at Avon being so helpful and ind informative; I'll report back in a week or so once I've put enough miles on them to get an accurate opinion. First impressions are that they're an improvement over the Nokian WRA3's I had last year in the dry and the wet, the rather stiffer sidewalls give a much more positive response, you don't feel like you're falling into corners.

Not a model i'm familiar with so i'll look forward to your updates :banana-popcorn:

I'll give a proper report once I've had a chance to test them in anger on snow/ice: looking at the long range forecasts that might not be too far away, at least on the mountain passes up here.

Interesting, I've just fitted the A3 to the Lexus. First impressions are really good and the sidewalls feel fine to me but then it's not a car for chucking around corners.

Well my Forester definitely is - a real seat of the pants car   :o (though still practical), that's what I like about it. Alternatively, you might have got better Nokians than my last lot - I did hear some crack about them outsourcing some production to Russia with bad results. Certainly the first set (WR G2's) I got nigh on 10 years ago were awesome, great feel, you wouldn't believe they were winter tyres until you started zooming past other folk in the snow. Since then there seems to have been a gradual decline in the dry/wet performance + feel, though they've always been good on snow/ice.

• 1 month later...

My car is due for a service in the next couple of weeks and I had it in mind to fit a set of Michelin CrossClimates. I used them on my previous vehicle and like them a lot for my kind of motoring.

However, they do not appear to be available in the size specified for my vehicle (225/55R 18 98H).

I'm not generally impressed by "all weather" tyres but I wondered whether any other manufacturers have caught up with Michelin and whether anyone has experience of using tyres similar to the CrossClimates?

Well I'm really impressed with the Nokian's so far, they performed very well in the recent snow and freezing temperatures. It certainly didn't feel like I was driving on cold roads, the grip was excellent.

I want to try the Cross Climate at some point, the reviews do seem to suggest they are the best all season tyre available. I might get them for the MX5 when they need replacing.

I was going to get them for the Lexus but I got 2 new tyres with the car so thought I'd get proper winter tyres. Having said that they're almost on the limit and won't last much longer when I swap them back over. They've worn really quickly, just over a year but they've done nearly 10k miles. They're Hankook Evo 2.

I think Sagitar is referring to all season tyres though. What's the next recommended one after the cross climate. TBH I think you'll struggle to find one, all the reviews I've read haven't been great.

For the size you want would all terrain tyres be a better option?

In any event I'd go with winters all year rather than summers all year, if all seasons are not an option.The benefits of winter tyres in winter outweighs the minimal disadvantage of winters in summer when compared to summers in winter.

Let's face it, you're not going to get stuck in the sun with the "wrong" tyres on, are you?

Yes I agree with you and I'd do the same if I wasn't in a position to change between the two. It also depends on the car and your driving style. If you don't want it to feel soft going round corners down the lanes in the summer then winter tyres will disappoint.

I did run some winter tyres in the summer on my Corolla and they felt fine to me but were a little soft. I wasn't impressed with them in the rain during winter though and they were Goodyears as well. The winter tyres on the Accord have been used for 4 seasons now and I've noticed the grip is going this year now they're worn to the first marker. I'll be keeping them on for the summer to finish them off so it'll be interesting to see how they feel when it's warmer.