Ford Galaxy Titanium X

SHAHZ

Yeah i get they can get in but how they started it I have no idea, it's keyless start too, there is however a cap by where the ignition so assume it can still be 'hot wired'!

When dos the Lexus get stolen??

Someone I know in Southgate also almost had those Beemer taken yesterday in the same way they tried mine, thankfully they weren't successful! Scumbags!

Mine was ages ago, back in 2005 but in a carjacking so they had the keys.

As Rich says if it's keyless start it must be similar to all the recent BMW and Range Rover thefts where they use the OBD port to program a new key literally in seconds. I thought most manufacturers had closed up that issue but maybe not.

Sorry to hear that mate :( Where did it happen? My Grandad had his M reg Primera stolen a few years a go from Sainsbury's car park in Barkingside. We think that was pikies!

I believe on keyless cars they use the OBDII port to bypass the security and start the car.

Chingford Costco mate! As Parth says, I had assumed that newer cars had closed off the obd security issue

Yeah i get they can get in but how they started it I have no idea, it's keyless start too, there is however a cap by where the ignition so assume it can still be 'hot wired'!

When dos the Lexus get stolen??

Someone I know in Southgate also almost had those Beemer taken yesterday in the same way they tried mine, thankfully they weren't successful! Scumbags!

Mine was ages ago, back in 2005 but in a carjacking so they had the keys.

As Rich says if it's keyless start it must be similar to all the recent BMW and Range Rover thefts where they use the OBD port to program a new key literally in seconds. I thought most manufacturers had closed up that issue but maybe not.

Oh I remember that! Had totally forgotten!

Don't think they have necessarily recalled all cars to get it sorted though. I've got a 2014 keyless Ford and mine hasn't been recalled for security.

Seems this is the the case! I'm going to get an aftermarket alarm on the Beemer which has obd cut off, will probably get it on the galaxy's replacement too!

I think you can get physical mechanical locks for the obd2 socket these days to try and prevent that.

Manufacturers should really prevent this from occurring or use a separate method for locks. .. the steering wheel locks Will make a comeback after this revelation!

On reading this last night it might be an idea to move the obd socket on the car out of the way and put a dummy one in wired straight to the battery to supply battery voltage to the comms lines to fry any equipment they try and use....but I bet this will be classed as a 'modification' to the car and insurance won't cover it....

Odd car to single out?

Really is, the second I saw it wasn't there I knew it had been nabbed as I was 100% sure of where I left it, first thing I thought was I don't get it, it's a Galaxy!

Going by the security's reaction, no! He was well shocked

I am too! Been in that car park and other retail parks in that area and it's not something you'd expect to happen, particularly in broad daylight.
It was in the underground carpark, but still it's very well lit and always busy!

Yeah I've been in that underground car park, always felt totally safe. Very bizarre incident, particularly for a Galaxy! Could it be they break it down for parts rather than actually move the whole car? Must be far less risky to do that with something so common than need to shift on a high end car from the more traditional type of theft.

Have they found it yet? Maybe it was stolen to be used in a robbery later on?

See I would have thought the same, however they didn't plan it very well if they did, we were in the shop for 55 minutes, they took it 2 minutes before we paid, resulting it being 'hot' within 5/6 minutes of it being taken!

If they were planning to do a crime with it, I'd expect them to be scoping the carpark from a far, choose a target and within a few minutes of us leaving the car go for it! I reckon it's been cloned!

Yeah good point..... Saying that who would want it back?

Exactly! However, I've just been told by the DVLA, unless it's recovered, I can't put my plate back on retention or transfer to another car for 12 months after it was stolen, well p**sed!! And if it had been cloned, very unlikely it will be recovered!

Fingers crossed it turns up after the insurers have settled the claim!

I agree with you, I think it's either been cloned or broken for parts. Unlikely it was used in a robbery, there are less conspicuous places to take a car from if you want to use it again.

That's a real bugger about the plate, I didn't know that was the case? Yes try and settle as soon as you can and then fingers crossed the car turns up straight after! How is the claim going, is the insurer being cooperative?

Talking of insurance will this hike your premiums, as really it should be a non fault claim?

When my car was stolen it wasn't considered non-fault, but with protected no claims the impact was minimal. Nowadays any claim hits your premium though so you can't really get away from it.