Through lack of use I've managed to kill the battery in the Lexus again, left it charging for a whole week and then after just a few days it's flat again.

OEM battery used to be the best option as it was around £55, but that's shot up to £80 so thinking about alternatives. A quick search suggests that branded batteries are about the same price but does anyone have any recommendations?

Also would an AGM battery hold charge better when used so infrequently?

That's a good price for a Varta battery, thanks for that. Do they deliver quite quickly?

Discovered this as well after I posted this, seems a decent price for one I can just go and pick up from Halfords, plus it's 65Ah which is what I think the OEM is and has a 5 year guarantee. Yuasa makes decent stuff too don't they?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/batteries/yuasa-12v-silver-car-battery-hsb005-5-yr-guarantee

Yep Tanya are great often next day if ordered in time

Thought about a solar panel on the rear shelf? A mate has one and it keeps his Skyline charged up *

*Getting a sense of deja vu here , have we had this conversation before ?

Yep Tayna deliver next day, always been quick service.

The Halfords one looks good for the money though.

I agree with the solar panel or maybe a trickle charger?

Thought about a solar panel on the rear shelf? A mate has one and it keeps his Skyline charged up *

*Getting a sense of deja vu here , have we had this conversation before ?

Definitely had this conversation before, and probably a number of times too! Although previously it was trying to understand why it kept going flat - now I know why, just need a replacement battery that's good and cheap as I keep going through them so often!

Solar panel is a good idea, but can they generate enough power to keep the battery topped up? Also this one claims to plug into the OBD port (which would make it easy), does that actually work?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/cars/dp/B00AC1LLQY

The car's parked outside which makes using a battery tender a bit trickier, otherwise I'd do exactly the same as I have on the Ferrari.

Well I never believed a solar panel would work but it seems to for my mate

Might try that AA one then as it's worth a punt at £25.

I had the halfords one on the Lexus, at the time i wasnt doing much miles in it and similarly it died a few times, comes with 4 years warranty so had it replaced after 2 or 3 years I think

Cool thanks, think I'll go for the Halfords one too due to the 5 yr warranty and ease of replacement when it inevitably dies.

• 9 months later...