Ready for the next super moon.......

Tony

It has become very confused. Many people now call the moon "blue" when there is a full moon twice in a month (as there will be this month). My understanding (by no means expert) is that normally there are 12 full moons in a year but sometimes there are 13 which means that there four full moons in one of the four seasons of the year. The third full moon in a season when there are four is called a blue moon.  The classic blue moon (the one with a seasonal connection) repeats in less than three years. The twice in a month job is more frequent. I guess the twice in a month definition is popular because it is easier to recognise, but it only started in the 1940s when there was a mistake in an almanac that has since been perpetuated. 

Incidentally, it is absolutely nothing to do with the colour of the moon. The word blue is a corruption of an old English word "belewe" used by the church to describe a moon that came too early for defining the date of a church event. They were using lunar months in those days so had to cope with squeezing in an extra one occasionally. 

• Like 1

In 1866 they would certainly not have been using the "twice in a month" definition of a blue moon. The January 31st moon will not be a blue moon if we use the same definition as was used in 1866. So I think we may be getting a bit over excited. 

• Like 1