Steve-O's MX5

Steve-O

Yeah the lights were a bit of a sod. I didnt realise until i started i had to disassemble both old and new light units and rebuilt them using a mix of the parts. I had to drill a few holes so i could bolt them together so they would go back into the headlight recess. Took me 3 hours or so but please with the quality of the work and the change its given the car. Its made it look a bit more youthful. I have been told the raybrigs are the best headlight you can get for the MX5, so with those and the nightbreaker bulbs i have installed should make night driving a bit more comfortable!

I'd like to see pics of MX5's on eibachs - both the sport and pro's? I know one is slightly lower but i just want to compare both so if anyone knows of any images they would be greatly received.

Looks stunning, the shine makes the paint look wet. On the suspension note think hard about the KYB dampers. If they are only three or four way adjustable then you might get issues controlling the coil rebound.

Ok well i have taken the plunge - I have purchased a Jackson racing MP42 supercharger kit, and front mount intercooler which will be combined with a fully configurable megasquirt ECU which will give me around 180BHP at the wheels :D I've been told that 200bhp is probably the most i'd want to go for to retain complete usability, so i am going to get this done and see how it feels!

Its going in to be installed and then tuned/rolling roaded on 18th May. Best case scenario i am looking at around a 38% power increase. Thats got to feel a bit more rapid - cant wait !!

Of course :D - I suspect it will be quicker than what the numbers suggest. It weighes a smidgeon over a ton (1020kg?)i think.

For this stage its going to Skuzzle Motorsport down in Winchester - Everyone said he was the man to go to and he was readily available so jumped in!

Mmmm, tasty! I've always loved the idea of a supercharged '5. Ever since I sold my Mini Cooper S i've missed the whine! 180bhp at the wheels will feel plenty fast enough in something only weighing a ton i'm sure. :)

Funny you say that - my first experience of a supercharger was a Mini Cooper S works and it was awesome. Sounded evil hearing the whine as it came up to pass and then a nice rasp from the centre backbox with a pop on gear change as it flew past. That's exactly what I am after :D

After some discussion with skuzzle its not much more of a deal to fit some 330-440cc injectors and a crank overlay which will up the boost to around 9-10psi and near to 200 :D

Oh yes. When I hit the track I am aiming to show a clean pair of heels to some much more expensive machinery! Always loved being the underdog hence my long running love of turbo (and now supercharged) jap cars!

Funny you say that - my first experience of a supercharger was a Mini Cooper S works and it was awesome. Sounded evil hearing the whine as it came up to pass and then a nice rasp from the centre backbox with a pop on gear change as it flew past. That's exactly what I am after :D

After some discussion with skuzzle its not much more of a deal to fit some 330-440cc injectors and a crank overlay which will up the boost to around 9-10psi and near to 200 :D

Fantastic sounding little cars the Supercharged Cooper S as you say, with the whine and the pops and bangs :D Miss mine a little bit to be honest :crying_anim02:

I don't think you'll have any problem showing up more expensive machinery on track B) It's a shame there aren't similiarly priced avenues for the MK3 yet as all existing options are extortionate. Otherwise i'd have to join you on the supercharger front!

I am sure there will be in due course. Isn't there a cosworth conversion? It probably isn't worlds apart from the money this is costing me :lol: i love my pop up lights though so cant get rid of it :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the last couple of weeks i've been sourcing bits and pieces from all over the place, including the US in my quest to do a proper job on this. My parts list is presently :

Later style MP42 JR Supercharger(MP45) Been informed this is a nice unit is from a running low mileage auto.
JR Air filter and pipe work
JR Charger outlet
JR Rotomold crossover pipe
JR Rising rate Fuel Regulator
JR Boost Timing Unit
JR Boost Gauge (Fit in centre vent, one closest to driver)
Belt tensioner assembly
Long throttle cable
+ Various hose sections and jubilee clamps for the above kit
JR 1800 mk1 dummy throttle body is there plus the Pre charger throttle body and blanking plate.
TurboSmart Dump valve
Denso 450cc Yellow jacket injectors
TDR 150 Crank Overlay
TDR Exhaust manifold heat jacket

I have purchased a revised moss belt tensioner to replace the original one above in the hope that the belt stays at the right tension. I've also sourced a Type 1 Torsen LSD and half shafts from a 1994 mk1, which is going on along with some poly diff bushes to reduce axle tramp when booting it. A set of braided hoses along with some new fluid is also being installed.

There will be a number of parts that are surplus to requirements such as original ECU, Airbox and pipes crossover pipe, boost timing unit original tensioner assembly which i'll probably flog on to offset my current spend.

With all of the above i am fully expecting to get over 180BHP at the wheels (secretly hoping it will be 200 or nudge slightly over), and have the right parts installed that should i want to - move up to an MP62 later on.

Rolling road printout will be posted in due course :D

Nick of Skuzzle Motorsport down in Winchester. His names been recommended so many times on Nutz and Pistonheads i couldn't ignore it. Plus hes a wizard with ECU tuning and has his own rolling road so has everything under one roof.