Hornet at Brands

hms

Took the Hornet to Brands on Friday with roofless driver. Great day as usual, cold but fun. AM the track was extremely slippy, lots of cars spinning off and or taking the agricultural route! Managed to keep the Hornet on the blackstuff, although did have a couple of moments!

Ran the Hornet on my sprint tyres, not the 888's, we had the 888's, but Sean had to leave at lunchtime, and I didn't want to swop the tyres back myself at the end of the day, so we stayed on the Avons.

PM the track had a dry line and was a lot faster.

From my data logs my fastest morning time was 1.13.61, ave speed 60 mph, max 89.9

Afternoon, 1.08.82 average 63.7, max 89.7

H

The slower times in the morning were not wanting to do the agricultural bit, so was driving comfortably, tiptoe'ing around the circuit. My confidence in the dry, Yes, I know where that comes from as well!

I did a Lotus on Track day at Bedford, and met one of the chaps that I sprinted against, (he was always first in my class in the sprints, I was always the last!)

After some persuasion, as I am not a good passenger, he took me for a couple of laps in his lightly modified Elise, eye opening to say the least. Made me think that there was so much more available grip wise than I was using. Put the brave trousers on, and that was it. (After this, at the kink in the back straight of the Bedford Gp circuit, i was as fast as I could get the Hornet to, around 90mph, and slight braking to go through the kink, the Elise was 110 and kink, what kink? He kept the power on all the way through!

Memorable.

H

Lesson learnt methinks.... I've always felt you underestimate your abilities as a driver, kind of hanging back in a coy side of things.... Frustrating H because i know you want to let it go and enjoy more but it''s a team car so you hold back....

• 3 weeks later...
it''s a team car so you hold back....

I can vouch for H's comment about self preservation, as it really was slippy out there. Last time I went to Brands it was cold & dry so much quicker.

The Hornet gets driven very hard by a couple of the other guys and I have given it the beans at Finmere, but it doesn't miss a beat.

Remarkable for such an old car.