My dad had to change the front tyres on the Prius quite urgently so took it locally - and they appear to have done this. Took the car back and they are claiming it is not their fault, they have jacked the car in the correct place so have done nothing wrong. They also claim that the sill must have been weakened somehow, and that's what caused this.

What's the best way to deal with this? I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer to get some kind of written assessment done but does anyone have any thoughts?

post-1222-0-54097400-1397464835_thumb.jpg

post-1222-0-55104100-1397464841_thumb.jpg

post-1222-0-23933900-1397464846_thumb.jpg

That's what I said but they still claim to have done nothing wrong.

Should they even be jacking on that bit that sticks down though? The OEM jack has a cut in the top so it straddles it, it's using the parts either side of it to jack the car, and not that sticking down bit itself (not really sure what to call it!)

It's clearly incorrect jacking no if's no buts..... How come there's no witness marks on the actual jacking point? I would be absolutely fuming. Stand your ground mate, get the area managers number or the MD. Even in the image displayed they still use the key lift points with "rubber mats" on the contact point. Does their trolley jacks have rubber mats?

Yes you can use those points for a normal trolley jack or the central points if it has them and then put axle stands on the sills. With a rubber pad on it's fine but even the cheap trolley jacks have cut outs to sit over the sill but they may leave a mark.

They claimed they use blocks sometimes but I didn't see any and the jacks the manager showed me just had a slightly curved flat metal plate.

Just got off the phone with the Toyota dealer and he knew what I was talking about before I even finished explaining - seemingly this is quite a common thing!

They said it's all outlined clearly in the owner's manual, will check that and head back down there with it later in the week.

That's typical me getting angry but on reflection it wasn't wise.... Nevertheless information was passed out of sight and the company in question has agreed to resolve the complaint....... With a little poke from me :whistle:

• Like 1

Sorry about my late response, been really busy the last few days.

Have to say a massive thank you to Tony for flexing his tyre related muscles and sorting this! Can't thank him enough for saving me a huge heap of hassle, as mentioned above the garage has agreed for me to get a repair estimate and pay the cost of the required works.

Big thanks to Tony!  :thumbsup_anim:

Well sort of.... The workshop foreman was voted to deal with me rather than the area manager ( coward ) and i just broke his argument down to the point he simply agreed to repair the car as a sign of good faith. In truth no business is perfect and if anyone claims to be perfect their a bloody liar. Fact is we can all make mistakes hence the reason we insure our cars but when and i do mean when something goes wrong it's how it's dealt with that really matters. In my book it's handled this way....

1: Pull your knickers down

2: Hold your hand up high

3: Correct the error

4: Learn by the error

Their are exceptions though :huh: If for example a customer said you balanced the front wheels and now the radio doesn't work then i wouldn't hold my hand up to that. I would help to get it fixed but i wouldn't pay for it.

Quick update, car is heading into Toyota this afternoon to get an estimate done, the bodyshop guy said they just did the same thing on an iQ a few weeks ago!

He also said that he's fairly certain it'll need a replacement wing, once it buckles like that due to the jacking the wing will be bent out of shape and cannot be repaired.