Skoda Fabia geometry changes between alignment

pauljcoles

Hello,

I used WIM a few years ago for my Eunos, you did great work then, so I hope that someone will be able to help.

I'll try to be brief.  Last October I purchased a 2011 model Skoda Fabia Elegange TDI, it runs on 195/45 16 wheels/tyres.  It was second hand from a main dealer.  On the rear were the original Bridgestone ER300s, the front had symetrical Avon ZV5s fitted.  From having it the car tramlined in ruts quite a lot.  It got better after I pumped the tyres up to the correct pressure.  Shortly before the service I took the front wheels off to clean, I then noticed that I had worn out the inner edge of the off side tyre.  I replaced the two fronts with more Avon ZV5s, but this time asymetrical.

Fast forward a little and I replaced the rear with the same ZV5s.  The car felt ok, a little tramlining, but nothing major.  The steering wheel was straight, and it didn't pull or drift (that I remember).

At my service I had the alignment done by Skoda through convenience. They didn't provide a print out, but did indicate that the toe was miles out on the nearside.  Imediately after it was terrible, the steering wheel was off centre to the right.  It pulled to the left and I had to keep pressure on the wheel to keep straight.  It also felt unstable.

Skoda had it back and did the geometry again.  This time the steering wheel was off to the left.  Same pulling and felt terrible.  They adjusted the toe on the off side this time.

I went back for a third time and now it gets bizzarre.  They say and they went to 3 Listers sites around Coventry.  That they align the car and try to get it within manufacturers specs, but they can't.  They adjust it as best as possible.  Drive the car and the geometry changes.  The castor which isn't adjustable is not within specs.

They've looked over the bushes and suspension components and say that they look ok.  There is some slight movement in the rear bushes, but nothing major.  They believe that the car has been in an accident at some point, because they can't get it within spec.

This doesn't quite make sense to me, as the geometry wouldn't change would it?  It would stay either in or out of spec, but not vary massively.

This is one of the alignment results, I have many

14782591748_03f1154ae0_b.jpg

What they recommend is to take it to a bodyshop to see where it is bent.  It just doesn't make sense.

It's not bent! They are talking bollox. The car needs a full tank of fuel or weight added to comply with the trim height requirement held within the set-up parameters. At the moment "BOTH" the castors are to low meaning the cars rake is to high at the rear, lower the rake then the through angle between the top suspension mount and the lower ball joint ( castor ) will increase. It can also be seen from the rear camber positions being to light.

Next question is an important one. If the ahead steering position is RHD and you hold it straight then the car will steer left, so is this the case or do you have to physically resist the energy of a pull by holding the steering RHD? 

Thanks Tony, that's put my mind to rest.

I would say that as the steering wheel is slightly RHD, if I move the wheel straight then the car steers left.  The lightest of touches to RHD will keep the car straight.  Driving straight ahead is more of a vague slightly RHD.

On the 1st and 2nd attempts Skoda had I would need to resist the wheel to keep straight.