Dash cam's......

Tony

youtube embedded views alone work out to be about (not precisely) $1 per 1000 views. I got £60 the other month in return for about 1 years worth of views across all the videos on my channel.

I personally would retain my rights to a video if approached as the life time views will continue to make money over time, unless of course the initial value ie $3000 was quite handy at the time. 

I see you are at around 24000 views already. so if the video is monetised then you would be getting about $24 back already

• 1 year later...

I had a Blackvue in the Prius that I got rid of at the end of last year. I've spent the last few months looking hard at what is now available and came to the conclusion that the Thinkware F770 would go well into my Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. I had it installed professionally a couple of days ago and I'll put up some videos once I have the time to sort it out.

That looks like a good bit of kit, especially the night vision. Any reason why you didn't keep the blackvue?

How much did it cost to install? I want to get one for the Lexus but don't fancy messing with the wiring myself.

I sold the Blackvue with the car. It was hardwired together with a power supply that protected the low voltage battery when in parked mode.

I've got a similar setup with the F770 but it has an app for my android smartphone that lets me set the voltage level in the 12v battery at which the power switches off to protect the battery.

The cameras create MP4 files and they are quite big (80 MB for each camera for a minute of recording) so it needs a big memory card.

Incidentally, I'd like to show a couple of minutes of recording on here but I haven't a clue how. What's the simplest way?

The total cost was £388.00. That's front camera, rear camera, hard wiring kit, and installation with no wires showing anywhere other than at the entry to the cameras.

• Like 1

I sold the Blackvue with the car. It was hardwired together with a power supply that protected the low voltage battery when in parked mode.

I've got a similar setup with the F770 but it has an app for my android smartphone that lets me set the voltage level in the 12v battery at which the power switches off to protect the battery.

The cameras create MP4 files and they are quite big (80 MB for each camera for a minute of recording) so it needs a big memory card.

Incidentally, I'd like to show a couple of minutes of recording on here but I haven't a clue how. What's the simplest way?

The total cost was £388.00. That's front camera, rear camera, hard wiring kit, and installation with no wires showing anywhere other than at the entry to the cameras.

I'll have to do some googling to see what camera we should get and who can fit it to hybrid but I would assume all of the reputable companies can do this.

Considering the cost of the cameras that's a really good price you paid, I assume it's an hour or two to fit it all?

As for the video then youtube is the best way to upload a video to show it on the forum.

As for the video then youtube is the best way to upload a video to show it on the forum.

Thanks Rich, the question is "how". I've tried hard to follow the instructions from the youtube web site, but failed miserably. When I load my videos and try to link to them on WIM I just get an error message saying video not available. Is there a straightforward set of instructions anywhere that I can follow to set up my entry to youtube, load a video then make a link to WIM?

Thanks for your help.

Does it appear to upload ok? If so, do you have the video link code? The bit after the question mark towards the end of the url. Often has a watch= as well so anything after that if it has it.

The forum is quite intelligent and places links like that to auto-retrieve and things but I've noticed a few times the embedded link Youtube produces (especially if it has chosen the .be server farm.

Forward facing Thinkware F770 dashcam  http://youtu.be/feSJ9J4xM3g

Rearward facing Thinkward F770 dashcam  http://youtu.be/wOuzcTQ843E

I believe the Thinkware cameras outperform the Blackvue cameras that I used previously in the Prius. The rear camera is clearly better specified, but some of the improvement may result from the differences of the configuration of the of the windscreen and the rear window on the two cars. The curves and slopes on the Prius windscreen may make it more difficult to give the camera a flat field of view and the split rear window on that car makes it more difficult to position the rear view camera effectively.

Well I got the links there after a fashion, but they are clearly not as I would want them. My previous problem resulted from the statement on youtube that the videos are live at https etc when in fact I had to use http to make them visible.

I obviously have not yet got the links right.

You got there in the end sagitar :)

To embed them in the forum I normally take the url from the browser address bar up to the & symbol and just paste that in to the edit box, it will automatically put code around it. The link from the share button (.be) doesn't seem to embed.

The cameras look really good and very clear. Can you see the drivers faces with the rear camera if they get too close?

It would be great to see some night footage when you have time as well.

• 1 month later...

DODGY RIDING

I am approaching traffic lights controlling a complicated cross roads junction, in the lane for a right turn.

The light controlling my lane changes to amber when I am still some distance away so I start to brake to a stop.

Behind me, a Suzuki rider is wriggling through the traffic by riding along the line dividing the lanes.

As I continue braking, he overtakes me by riding on the chevron markings that separate the lanes.

I assume that he is going to pull in and stop in front of me so I brake a bit harder. There is a car behind me but it's far enough back for my harder braking not to cause a problem.

However, the motor cyclist doesn't stop at all but rides through the lights, which are now at red, and makes his right turn successfully.

What was that old slogan? "Think bike" 

You can see the 30+ seconds before - as I got level with the back of the van he came pelting up behind me, flashing his lights, waving his hands, swerving side to side - the lot.

I pulled in at the Smart as it seemed the safest - with his swervig it didn't feel safe to pull in behind it as it looked like he was going to dive around the inside of me - then that happened!

Bloody Audi drivers!! You were overtaking so there was no need to act like that. There really should be more police on the roads. Are you going to send the video to the police? Not that they'll do anything!