Dash cam's......

Tony

Definitely a great idea, might even be able to identify yobs on flyovers chucking concrete.

I'm surprised the insurance industry doesn't make more of a fuss about getting them installed to make at fault claims more straightforward.

Or the government come to that - they seem to be keen on having cameras everywhere.

ttfn

• 3 months later...

I bought an R300 from iCove (or whatever it's called) for £60, to see if it was worth it.

Please wait a few moments for Video to Load!

I would say that on the whole it wasn't for the following reasons:

Even parked behind a vehicle you can't read it's numberplate,

When a file is saved you only get the .avi - no GPS or acceleration data, though the device does store this data as part of each journey you can't save it?

The dual-camera is ok for a taxi driver, but it doesn't do a good rear view out of the car (which is what I was hoping it would give).

You need a separate micro-SD card reader since it doesn't act as a drive when connected to USB (USB does power only)

It does some good things that are worth checking:

Records a journey from engine on to off in one file (doesn't ,

Easy to fold out of the way when not in use.

Has a separate GPS aerial,

Not too big.

Easy to use despite the chinglish instructions.

I don't know what it is like at night or going through a tunnel etc. but it's a typical 'get what you pay for'.

If I was driving a lot then I would invest in one of the roadhawks or similar - as it is if I do have an accident this might help, though speed and position aren't savable so they are rather redundant.

ttfn

Didn't somebody post some details on here about some fairly reasonable and small cameras that wrote to an SD type card? Sure I've seen posts and reviews.

Edit

Here you go:

DV Camera Review

Here's a vid taken with my Muvi to show the picture and sound quality, which I think is reasonable from something so small. However, clipping it to the passenger sun visor wasn't the best placement as it made it a bit shaky which prevented the reading of number plates when the car was moving, but as you can see, it wasn't a problem when stationary.

• 1 month later...

Ok the car-cam that I bought blew up it's micro-SD card. I wasn't too impressed with it anyway so I ended up getting one of these.

I was looking around and found this review of both that camera and it's little brother which looked promising.

I'll try and post some real-life footage when I get a chance, but I'm hopeful that it will be a good buy.

At this rate though I might as well splash out on a proper one or maybe one of these.

ttfn

Ok - here is some footage from the new camera (a G-206 HD car video recorder) on a really sunny day - it's the first journey out, so I think I may need to reposition it to reduce reflections.

Much clearer than the previous one, and this one just saves avi files on the micro-SD card so it's really easy to transfer files - either by using the card directly, or plugging a USB cable into a computer and accessing them.

ttfn

yeah great if you only get hit from the front...if you get stuffed in the rear or sides then you back at square 1..thay aint puttin 1 in my car :)

Well by definition if you're hit in the rear then they were too close - and i was going to say 'as long as you don't suddenly brake' but of course you SHOULD be able to suddenly brake and not be hit by the person behind, after all the person behind can't see what you can see and you may have a very good reason for slamming the brakes on.

So if your front-pointing camera shows you slamming your brakes on and then you get hit in the back it's still valid evidence of the person behind being too close.

Similarly for side collisions - unless you are doing something really stupid a camera can show that it was someone elses' fault the accident happened - if of course it was an accident.. there have been people deliberately causing accidents to scam insurance companies.

At the moment of course it's a personal choice to have a camera in your car - but I do seriously wonder how long it will be before car manufacturers, insurance companies and the police start insisting on them being installed as a matter of course - and if they do they will probably end up being an MoT item as well.

Carry on citizen.

ttfn

Ok - here is some footage from the new camera (a G-206 HD car video recorder) on a really sunny day - it's the first journey out, so I think I may need to reposition it to reduce reflections.

Much clearer than the previous one, and this one just saves avi files on the micro-SD card so it's really easy to transfer files - either by using the card directly, or plugging a USB cable into a computer and accessing them.

ttfn

That looks very acceptable. How long can you record on (say) a 32gig card without overwriting, and how long does battery last?

ttfn

That looks very acceptable. How long can you record on (say) a 32gig card without overwriting, and how long does battery last?

I don't know about the battery (since I have mine wired into the car) but I'll run it tonight and see.

5 minutes of video is 470Mb, say 500Mb,

so 10 mins = 1Gb,

32Gb = 32x 10mins = 5hrs 20mins

ttfn

• 1 year later...