Honda Civic 1.6. SE Executive Auto

Rich

Fitted a K&N panel filter over the weekend, it certainly made a difference to throttle response and acceleration. Some people say it creates a placebo affect fitting one but I definitely noticed an improvement.

• 1 month later...

I worked out the MPG from our holiday last week, with a roof box fully loaded, plus luggage on the rear seats, 3 people and 2 dogs we got 36 MPG. That's pretty good for an auto I think and I had no issues with overtaking despite the weight.

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered a pair of wishbones from eBay while they were cheap. Hopefully they will last at least a couple of years!!

The missus has said that sometimes when she reverses and stops there is a knock from the front. I'm thinking drop links but not 100% sure as normally they knock when going forward as well, what do you guys think?

• 4 weeks later...

Back from the weekend in Norfolk and we got 39.5 mpg from the Civic, which I think is excellent, especially for an auto. That was mostly motorway and A roads but it's a big difference from the mpg the car gets around town, usually high 20's.

Still need to fit these wishbones, hoping to do that soon. The haynes says the ball joints have a split pin in them, which should be replaced, do I need to do this or can I reuse it as I don't really want to drive over to Hemel for 2 pins!

Ok cheers will try that but do you replace the pins? Do they snap easily cos I don't wanna leave the missus without a car if it's something they're common for doing?

They can break when you straighten them. Just a question of luck. Should be able to get them from any accessory, hardware or DIY store. Just check the size first.

Think I had better get some new ones then. It doesn't tell you the size on here but they're £2.62 each, for a tiny little pin!!

I may also need to replace the drop links as I've read some people have to cut them off cos the nuts seize up.

I'll have a look at the pin over the weekend when I spray all of the bolts but looking at a replacement ball joint here, they just use a standard split pin, which I can get on ebay, 10 for £1.40. It doesn't have to be the exact same shape does it, it's only to stop the nut working loose and I can always bend the ends round. The only thing I'm not sure of is the sizing, i.e. 1.0 x 25 mm. The 25mm I'm guessing is the length and the 1mm the thickness. How can I measure the pin on the car so I know I get the right one? Suppose I could buy a multipack of them so I have a choice.

I'll have ago at removing one then, what do I measure the total thickness of the pin or hole? I don't have a gauge for that but I think I know someone who has.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a look today, didn't have time to remove one but it looks more like an 'R' shaped clipped but not quite the same shape. I wondering whether I should get a selection of these or just the cotter pins and bend the ends back?

Also been told cos the ball joints go through the knuckle when I split it from the wishbone it may cause it to have excess play when refitting, has anyone found this to be true?

• 3 weeks later...

Just started changing these and I can't get the drop links off. I was told they would probably need cutting off and they do, the hole for the allen key has rounded out. Good job ECP are doing 31% off at the moment so I'm going to buy those but probably won't be able to pick up until tomorrow. Is it ok to drive the car home (1/2 mile) without the drop links? It's a straight road more or less and I can coast it down at 20mph. I think it should be ok but want to check.

I picked them up today, thought they were open tomorrow but seems not. I replaced one side, the one that needed doing. It was an ok job once I had cut the drop link off and spent 30 minutes hammering the hell out of the wishbones trying to get it off the balljoint! The nut ain't too clever but I don't have a new one so put the new cotter pin in for now and I will get some new nylock nuts.

The bolts that hold the wishbone to the subframe don't seem to be torqued that much. Haynes manual said the front one was 103Nm, the rear only 56Nm! I did it abit tighter though as this just doesn't seem tight enough to me. I jacked the suspension up as well before torquing the bolts.

The car feels alot better already, much firmer in the corners and the noise that was there when pulling away seems to have disappeared. Doing the other side tomorrow so it should be even better then.

Other side fitted yesterday and the car is so much firmer now and the steering feels more positive but I need to take it on a long drive to check this. I think it's pulling very slightly to the right now so might need the geo checked on it.