Urine smell in car

Rich

For the last couple of months there has been a urine smell in the Lexus. It's only there when fresh air is on, i.e. only the blowers. Once the aircon is turned on the smell goes away and when that's turned off it doesn't usually come back.

We have caught cats peeing up the front of the car before so I'm wondering if the spray has got in somewhere and needs cleaning off properly. Does anyone have any suggestions for products that might work and is safe on paint?

I did use some of the air con cleaner down the vents, which didn't help with the smell.

With this heat the smell is really strong so I need to find out what's causing it asap.

So that's what the smell is!! :lol:

The pollen filter was changed in September and is ok. I've sprayed air-conditioning cleaner into the vents already but it made no difference. I'll check the scuttle panel though and it's been suggested to spray an antibacterial cleaner down the vents to see if that helps.

I get that every now and again. I use THESE.

Set it off with the engine running and aircon on. Even if it's not in your aircon, it will get everywhere so may help.

Product Overview
  • Leaves the atmosphere in your car clean and fresh
  • Eliminates bacteria, mould and fungi build up
  • Removes unpleasant odours
  • Deodorises upholstery and carpets
  • Easy to use 10 minute total cleaning treatment
  • 150ml canister
  • Like 1

I bought some of that airco breeze which is supposed to kill bacteria etc but it doesn't seem to have done anything and was a waste of money. I'm not sure an aircon bomb will do much, it's essentially the same thing. I'll check the scuttle panel and spray antibacterial cleaner around there to see if it helps.

I'm not convinced though cos the aircon doesn't actually smell, whether it's on fresh air or recirculate. It's when it's turned off the smell is there and more noticeably when the car is first started or been left a couple of hours.

I took the pollen filter out and sprayed in there, I think that's where the evaporator is.

That reminds me about the drain pipe, I did check it and it only seems to drip when the engine is turned off. On the Accord there is a puddle on the floor within 30 seconds. So I need to jack the car up and make sure the tube isn't partially blocked.

I bought some of that airco breeze which is supposed to kill bacteria etc but it doesn't seem to have done anything and was a waste of money. I'm not sure an aircon bomb will do much, it's essentially the same thing. I'll check the scuttle panel and spray antibacterial cleaner around there to see if it helps.

These aren't the same Rich. It's about the size of a coke can that you put on the rear footwell of the car and have the aircon on full blast with aire on re-circ. Then release the trigger, get away and close the doors. It sprays for about 5 mins but you're meant to leave the car a good 10 mins minimum.

It gets absolutely everywhere, not just inside the aircon because it's being blown around as well as circulated through the air system. There's no residue or anything.

Obviously it's not going to cure a blocked exit pipe but will sanitize anywhere else. For £6 worth a try.