Gtechniq Platinum

parthiban

Bit spur of the moment but have agreed to get my car detailed with this applied on top - does anyone know anything about it?

Price for the detail including this coating is £500 so not extortionate for a professional detail, just wondered if it's as good as Gtechniq claim it is though (it's guaranteed for 5 years which seems a little optimistic)

Tried searching on detailing world ? I have doubts about these mega long life coatings myself

Was only able to find this, it's quite new and dealer only - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=4844223

To be fair my sister's mini was treated with supagard when new and although it isn't that highly rated it did actually work incredibly well. Despite not really being looked after at all it remained pretty much swirl free and dirt just fell off it for around the first 5 years.

Considering it's not really costing more than a traditional detail I thought it worth a shot but I'll try and report back on it at regular intervals on how it's holding up :)

Dealer applied coatings are a great money maker , while I was waiting for my new car I saw the dealership valeter apply supagard to a Fabia , it took 20 minutes , I don't see value in any of these

Much better to get a pro IMO , the guy I buy a lot of my supplies from does a long term coating called LE Sheild but the job takes a couple of days , results are pretty stunning though and it lasts ages .

Tim is Envy Valeting , too far from you I would think but he would be able to offer you some honest unbiased advice and might be able to recommend someone . You can contact him through his sure or Facebook and I'm sure he would be happy to help

Yep the normal dealer ones aren't always great if not applied properly.

The Gtechniq is being applied by a pro detailer, not just a dealer valeter so I'm hoping it should be applied properly. He's doing a full detail incl paint correction first before applying the coating.

If it's through a dealer though you have the valeters cost and then the chunk the dealer adds, I'd rather pay the detailer direct knowing that the money is spent detailing the car and not adding a margin to the dealer

Fwiw I used Gtechniq on the Fabia's alloys and wasn't that impressed , seemed to last about the same as wax

If it's through a dealer though you have the valeters cost and then the chunk the dealer adds, I'd rather pay the detailer direct knowing that the money is spent detailing the car and not adding a margin to the dealer

Fwiw I used Gtechniq on the Fabia's alloys and wasn't that impressed , seemed to last about the same as wax

That's a fair point, it's technically not a dealer (as in a main dealer) but true this is the detailer the garage uses to prep all their cars so I imagine there must be a cut to the dealer.

I guess I'll wait and see as I've committed to it now (they're probably already working on it) - as it's not really costing a lot more (well based on London prices, Topaz quoted £1500!) it's not a huge deal if the coating only lasts as long as a wax but if it does that'll be a bonus.

Just had a look at Envy's pricing and it's a lot cheaper which I guess shows the difference between London and elsewhere and the rest will be the dealer margin.

I haven't kept up to date with the latest detailing products but I'm a gtechniq fan.

Alot of these products, not just gtechniq's, can be awkward to apply and the prep seems to be the key if you want it to last a long time. Alot of complaints also seem to come from how the coating has been applied from what I've read.

Stupid question but what keeps it on? Meaning when the car is washed wouldn't it wash off?

What I've been told is that the coating somehow bonds to the clear coat. It's not permanent but tough enough to stay on and withstand the washing process for a few years.

Reads like solid stuff then.

That's the marketing spiel, I'll have to let you know how well it works. I don't have the most meticulous wash regime so it'll be getting a thorough test!

Unfortunately the initial results are going to have to wait though, just had a call that he's still not happy with the clutch operation so needs to keep the car a bit longer  :(