Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

5 hours ago, Rich said:

It's a 2.4 petrol automatic so it's never going to be great. I've always got low 20s around town since I got it 9 years a go. I suppose a sensor or two may be old but I'm not going to start replacing parts on a whim.

Didn't you have a diesel Accord, not petrol?

Ah as its the auto that makes sense! 

I had a 2.2 diesel, then a 2.0 petrol 

The diesel way great but with the remap I had (200hp up from 140) the DMF was starting to go and didn't want to spend the 1.5k on a new DMF and clutch. So removed the map, sold the car and got a 2.0 petrol for £2k.

Bullet proof the 7th gen accords, really wish they didn't cease production at the 8th gen. Such a fantastic motor and a very engaging drive! 

my 2003 Lexus has 128,000 miles now and is developing rust around the rear sills. headlights clouded as well. I was told work would need to be done next couple of years so will decide later whether or not to go ahead. nearly 20 years for a car is good going though

On 05/11/2022 at 20:52, adam_r said:

Bullet proof the 7th gen accords, really wish they didn't cease production at the 8th gen. Such a fantastic motor and a very engaging drive! 

That's why I've kept it for 9 years, I just love driving the car. It's not particularly quick but still pulls well. Considering I paid £2600 for it and probably spent £1.5-£2k on repairs, mainly using Honda parts, it's served me well.

On 08/11/2022 at 13:52, eddie said:

my 2003 Lexus has 128,000 miles now and is developing rust around the rear sills. headlights clouded as well. I was told work would need to be done next couple of years so will decide later whether or not to go ahead. nearly 20 years for a car is good going though

The Accord is 20 years old in April, I think it's aged well, same for your Lexus, they're just built to last.

It's a shame the rust gets them eventually though. One of my rear arches is very rusty so I have it taped up with duck tape! There is just no point paying out to have it repaired, that would cost more than what the car is worth.

• 11 months later...

I had the MOT done on Tuesday, which Joe did and it failed on the upper suspension arm balljoint. I've had a knocking noise when reversing in to my driveway for the last 3-4 years but could never find it. It obviously got worse enough to feel the play in it. 

A quick look online and I saw one for £13 from ECP. Other side was £59 so that is some random pricing going on but I wasn't complaining. I fitted that yesterday morning and popped back over to Joe who passed it. 

Now for the bad news. The chassis rail and other parts of the underneath are badly rusted, going through the metal in one place. It will need welding up to pass next year. So I think the car will be going and I'll look for a replacement in the spring.

It's a shame as mechanically the car is still great but it's not worth repairing. Apparently they're common for rusting here which might explain why there aren't many left on the road. I've had it for 10 years so time for something different.

20231025_135327_copy_1008x477.jpg.22fe3ed85bfd7e4efc82140161bd3409.jpg

20231025_140620_copy_1152x546.thumb.jpg.e8d9599055669e13f85042323220ebb4.jpg

20231025_140626_copy_1008x477.jpg.80c5752b4c9b3773331266407b366b01.jpg

20231025_140208_copy_1152x546.thumb.jpg.852138f2205fbe73e2a38fad34815e37.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I don't think it's worth saving. I could get lucky and it passes again next year, depends how bad the rust will get. But I do less than 2000 miles, although most of it is in the winter.

Who did the welding on your Lexus? The MX5 might need some next year on the front.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/11/2023 at 22:08, Rich said:

Yeah, I don't think it's worth saving. I could get lucky and it passes again next year, depends how bad the rust will get. But I do less than 2000 miles, although most of it is in the winter.

Who did the welding on your Lexus? The MX5 might need some next year on the front.

the welding was done by the body shop behind the takeaways on uxbridge road - looks like a decent job

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eddie said:

the welding was done by the body shop behind the takeaways on uxbridge road - looks like a decent job

That's good to know, I was going to get a quote from them for respraying the bonnet on the MX5. Did you go down there or phone? I can only find a phone number for them, they seem pretty old school when it comes to advertising. They do seem to get a lot of trade by word of mouth though.

It's probably not worth getting the Accord repaired but if the MX5 ever needs more welding I might use them. 

Yes I'll do that next year, it's coming off the road now for winter.

The Accord isn't too bad mechanically. The auto box can be a bit iffy sometimes in full auto mode, I drive it in semi mode. It's running a bit rich I think, smokes in the morning and you can smell it. The rear sill is badly rusted and would probably get advised soon. So I think it'll be going.